News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i charging/cel problem

Started by CBMStocks, July 26, 2011, 11:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CBMStocks

hi, i'm new to the forum.. obviously. i've been reading every thread i can find about this issue. with a new battery the bike drains power and doesn't seem to charge at all. i haven't used a dmm to check the voltage while it's running so i don't know if it is even charging at all. would this be the regulator/rectifier i've read about? or could this possibly be the alternator? it's left me stranded twice and it is safe but far away right now so there's not much i can do physically with it.. just doing all the research i can. the first time it died it lit up the check engine light but after reading more i think it's because of the voltage issue and can be remedied with the mentioned sequence. any help is appreciated!

Mustang

if it's a 955i it is a bad stator and regulator /rectifier usually they both go out together ............only 885i and 885 carb bikes had alternator and they are fairly bullet proof

KuzzinKenny

Hey CBMStocks !! Welcome to TT.com !!  :occasion14

i'd start with a voltmeter across the battery, then with the bike started on idle, then with a few thou revs and make a note of what it reads and post back !! going by the pic its an 05 model !!

KK

ps 1 quicky, does the bike have both headlight on for dip and main ?

check when you start the bike if they go out or not, if they don't go out when starting there might be the wrong relays fitted and that will drain the battery !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

TigerTrax

Just for information:

I did the 'Stretch' re-wire bypass and installed a voltmeter.
It was consitently reading 13.8 volts, which figured was about right.
But one day it dropped to 11.8 volts....
So I dug into it and found a broken solder. I cut out a section and re-soldered.
Voila! 14.5 volts consistently.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

CBMStocks

the voltage doesn't increase at all no matter what revs the engine is doing. so i suppose it is both. and yes, i meant stator, mustang. anyone have any luck with this site? much cheaper than what the triumph dealer said the parts would cost.. www.rmstator.com/en

thanks!

pineygroveshop

Do yourself a favor and check the physical condition of the main fuse.  Small time and small price to ensure it is right.
Cheers,
Stephen

CBMStocks

main fuse is fine. how would i go about checking the regulator/rectifier to ensure it was bad? i would assume if the battery didn't increase in voltage when revving to 4k that means the stator is bad or is there a way to measure resistance of the stator itself?

i'm prepared to buy both parts, but the nearest dealer quoted me $450 for the stator and $250 for the regulator. i found this site, would there be any suggested place to buy either component? this one even says they changed the heatsink design of the regulator.. just don't want to throw that money out of the window to a questionable website

https://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcycles ... gories.htm

Mustang

have a look at this thread..................

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10051

6th post down by KuzzinKenny has lots of good info on where to get parts

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Mustang"have a look at this thread..................

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10051

6th post down by KuzzinKenny has lots of good info on where to get parts

Credit where credits due, i just copy n paste from here as i thought it would be easier for the guy to see on his phone !!  :roll:

thanks be to Stretch for that stuff  :thumbsup

KK

ps it was from, Tiger Parts Cross-Reference Guide !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

shannonlec

Quote from: "CBMStocks"hi, i'm new to the forum.. obviously. i've been reading every thread i can find about this issue. with a new battery the bike drains power and doesn't seem to charge at all. i haven't used a dmm to check the voltage while it's running so i don't know if it is even charging at all. would this be the regulator/rectifier i've read about? or could this possibly be the alternator? it's left me stranded twice and it is safe but far away right now so there's not much i can do physically with it.. just doing all the research i can. the first time it died it lit up the check engine light but after reading more i think it's because of the voltage issue and can be remedied with the mentioned sequence. any help is appreciated!

i was riding home the other day when i noticed my taco not working then my speedo and trip meter went out and my temp gauge went right up and i could feel a drag on the power i turned my lights off and it felt i had more engine power ,

and stupid me i pulled over to investigate and couldnt notice anything out of place and then wouldnt start ( can you jump start from a car if the car is not running) got it back to my dads place and found that i had a loose negitive terminal and a broken acsesorie wire on the neg side, charged the battery re soldered the wire and did the terminals up tight and rode home about 10 mins into the trip my taco went out again and then my speedo so i turned the lights off again and continued home , got home and no have a flat battery again .

now a stupid question i have a multi meter where abouts do i put the dial to reed the amps and where is the stator and rectifire located so i can test them

shannon

Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn

oxnsox

It's not as simple to measure current (amps) as it is to measure volts.

Follow the advice in this thread or do a search for it as there's plenty of threads on this.

Basically:
- take your seat off and connect the voltmeter across the battery. Note the reading. (it'll be around 12volts)
- Start the engine. note the reading (it should have gone up)
- use the throttle and run the bike at a few thousand RPM. Note the reading. It should be up around 14Volts.

If battery voltage doesn't increase when the bike is running, much over what it was when it wasn't, then you're up for a rec/reg and or stator.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~