News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheel rebuilding

Started by rf9rider, October 01, 2011, 02:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

I have a spare set of spoke wheels, trouble is the rims are beyond repair but the hubs are good.
Anyone had theirs rebuilt with aftermarket rims?
Anyone have any reccomendations as to where to buy the rims and get them rebuilt?

Rocinante

I´ve rebuilt the front, going from 19 to 21 inch. I did it in the garage with patience and with youtube videos as training. It´s fully doable. Tiny steps is the key here.

Search youtube for "truing spoked motorcycle wheel" and there you go...

I bought the rim and spokes through my Norwegian dealer. In the UK this name comes up regularly:
http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

NeilD

I had the rear wheel respoked on my t/bird sport by this bloke..

http://www.totalbikebits.com/product_lo ... php?id=303

he also checked out and trued the Girly wheels I bought..  he knows his stuff - used to own a steamer which he used for track days..  :D  I think on his he built rims with 17 and 18 fronts, used the 17 for trackdays and 18 on the road?  anyway from memory i think its about £60 per wheel for stainless spokes/brass nipples and about £50 for building each wheel..?

akendall1966

As Rocinante says; wheel building is 90% patience. If you do take it on two tips:

1: Take some decent photos as reference for the lacing pattern for the spokes.

2: Build yourself a simple jig and set it up off the old wheel before you remove the old rim. This will help you set the dish (if any) correctly and get the rim pretty close to concentric. Which will make truing less of a chore.

I think central wheel built the original steamer wheels for Triumph do would be a good choice to do it for you if you want somewhere to take it on and should be well placed to supply a suitable rim and spokes.
----AK-----