News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging System Failure, Need Help

Started by Fe Man, October 04, 2011, 11:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

Tiger Charging Nightmare, need help quick
Once upon a time, my bike died on the way home from work. As I had left the switch on and killed the battery the day before, I figured I had a bad battery. So in a jam, I grab a Wal-Marx battery, charge it, install it and go to work. On the way home the bike dies.

I get on-line and read the 9000 theads regarding diagnosing charging problems and Triumph charging issues and voltages fixes. I do my retarded best to use a multi-meter and determine that the rectifier/regulator is OK although it was my first suspect.

The stator appeared to be sending out less than required AC voltage so I ordered a stator from Rick's and installed it and I still have a GDMF'ing charging problem. It is very clear that I am incapable of following simple trouble shooting instructions nor read a voltmeter. Apparently I incorrectly measured/diagnosed the stator and replaced a good part; so it must be the regulator/rectifier. Ordered and installed and I still have a charging system failure.

New stator, new rectifier/regulator, new battery and still no charging....
What do you do after everything has been replaced?

12.03 volts at idle,
drops at 5K

Mustang

did ya check the 30 amp inline fuse

Fe Man

Mustang

not that you want to hear this but.......................
sometimes when you only replace the stator the bad regulator/rectifier will take out the stator and vice versa  . a lot of times it is best to replace both at the same time .

your best bet at this point would be to contact Ricks and see if you can send both stator and r/r back to him to verify if they are good or fubared  and quite possibly the wally world batt might be junk . but start with ricks ..............

Fe Man

Quote from: "Mustang"not that you want to hear this but.......................
sometimes when you only replace the stator the bad regulator/rectifier will take out the stator and vice versa  . a lot of times it is best to replace both at the same time .

your best bet at this point would be to contact Ricks and see if you can send both stator and r/r back to him to verify if they are good or fubared  and quite possibly the wally world batt might be junk . but start with ricks ..............

Mustang,

I checked the stator after previous installation and it still produced appropriate AC voltage on all three leads. But then again, the stock part was also within spec.  I called for Rick earlier today and never heard back from him; perhaps he'll call tomorrow.

oxnsox

What Mustang said.

Send all the bits you have off to get checked. If you're lucky you'll have a good set to put back in.
Then check and recheck it before you fire up, including all fuses and connections.

Best of luck.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

metalguru

Have you check the wireing?
wire length for wire length to see if you have continuity at each end of each wire.
If you put the test probes of the meter together you will see what sort of reading you should see on each wire that you test, any connectors that look green or corroded should be repaired.

Just a thought.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Fe Man

Alright Tiger owners, heed my words!

Regarding the Sasquatch fix; do it!
I don't care what you think you know or what condition you believe your wiring to be in.

My bike showed no physical symptoms, no blackened connectors, no discolored or burnt wires, nothing!

With the new stator, regulator and battery I was getting 12.03 volts at idle. With the Sasquatch mod; 14.9 volts. I am getting 14.8 volts at my in-dash power outlet. I can also tell a difference in throttle response now that I am operating with sufficient voltage to make everything happy.

I am part owner of a stereo shop in Roswell, Ga; if you can't find the parts to complete the mod, let me know and I will send them to you at my cost plus shipping. I will send a maxi fuse holder, connectors should you not solder, heat shrink. split loom, zip ties; everything! It's bound to be all of about $10.00.

If you haven't done the mod, you must.
If you refuse to do the mod, you're an idiot...

Your mileage will not vary!

Jon H.

>>>Alright Tiger owners, heed my words!

Regarding the Sasquatch fix; do it!<<<

AMEN!
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black
1971 Norton Commando - Black
1983 Moto Guzzi LeMans lll - Red
2009 Suzuki DL 650S - Black