News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer on Ebay

Started by Mudhen, December 16, 2004, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Just wondering what questions I should ask before bidding on this?

I know of another more local bike for $4k that is gorgeous...do you think getting an older Steamer that looks like it has been somewhat neglected is worth it?  Or spend the extra cash up from for a nicer bike?

Thanks,

Pat

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... eName=WDVW
\'96 Steamer

Dick Boyer

Looking at those pictures, it looks like it spent a lot of time outside in the rain.    I think you have a better idea on that other Tiger closer to home.

BP_LONDON

That bike hasn't been taken care of properly. Look at all the rust! I'd stay well away from that one!

Chris Canning

If a steamer is your Thing,then apart from checking the basics you need to find out a,is it an early model and when did they change e'm,with the early models if the sprag on the starter motor goes(and they do) you have to split the cases to repair it!!!!

Chris

abell

This bike has had a very hard life for four thousand bucks - for five grand you can pick up a mint 2000 Tiger and would be wiser to.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

littlesireko

For the price was worth a bit of work.  I am well pleased with my first tiger.

It has been totally taken apart and put back together

The only things left to do are fix/replace the seat - the seat is even worse than it looks,  seems to be at least a second recover and done badly.  Shim the sidestand so it doesnt look like its falling over
Black 95 Tiger

Red 99 R6

Mudhen

Nice!  I'd love to see some pics of your progress.  Did you do the work yourself?

Welcome aboard!

Pat
\'96 Steamer

knarf

Looks really scruffy, The seat looks like its done £100K.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

ArizonaKid

I tend to agree with BP. Stay away from that one.  Looks like a steaming pile of junk to me. . .  For that kind of $, or a little more, you should be able to find a much nicer Tiger. . .
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

littlesireko

Think I paid $2500 for it.  I'm pleased at that price and restoring it myself for about $500

Bike had been left outside under a crappy cover for years.  Mostly fine mechanically but the leather covered seat hadnt been treated so looks like crap and getting replaced.  Does anyone know any good shops in NE that repairs/recovers seats?  Corbins are a bit pricey.

Bike is back in bits again trying to trace & locate a ground fault which is popping the back light & instrument fuse.  

Couple of things I noticed that might be useful for other buyers of old steamers:

#1 The headlight mount is fragile, even with the factory support mod.  Check the support hasn't broken - you can find it behind the instruments/light , attached at the leading edge of the tank

#2 Tank switch clags up -so take off the pipe and check operation on reserve/off and on.   Remember to catch the spilling fuel in a container. I didnt and stunk the house out for a day ( bedroom above garage and forced air heating dont mix)

#3 Check the wiring harness as it goes under the tank.  There's a grey sheath around it and you should be able to feel any exposed wires.  Switch off/disconnect the battery if you dislike electric shocks.

hmmm .... there's quite a lot here - I'll start a new topic on this if anyone is interested
Black 95 Tiger

Red 99 R6