News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

98 running poorly after sitting.

Started by Bob Tosi, October 22, 2011, 03:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

So I tore the Tiger apart and did my light mod. Unfortunately sh sat for about 2 maybe 3 months. I lost track because I've been dog pliled with work and did have time to finish her up.

Well today I finished the job and went to start her up and she wont run unless the choke is all the way open, like on a very cold start.  If there is any throttle input she stalls out.  If I bake off tghe choke the idle goes way down the bike will stall out.

If I roll on the throttle very slowly it will rev up to 4000 - 5000 rpm's.  If I take off the choke all the way it dies.

I didnt run it too long so as not to over heat it.  There's fuel in the tank. The bike sat in the shed the whole time it was sitting.

The only thing that I can see is the throttle cable is broken at the grip.  The slack adjuster is broken not the cable.

Im going back out there to try and figure it out. If I figure more out I'll let you know.

Mustang HELP?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Bob Tosi

OK, got her started with out the choke and it idles but rough.  I ran it up and down the street and it revs up but almost sounds like it is missing on one cylinder. But it does rev up ok.  Going for fresh gas and see what happens.

Bob Tosi

All right false alarm.  A little fuel treatment and a fill up with premium gas and she's running like a raped ape again.  There's still a little rough spot so I will probably change the plugs to try to fix that.

MIMbox

Yep, my 95 sits for long periods, and always runs like a dog when 1st used. Won't run without choke,and rough as a badgers arse. Sorry about mixing animal metaphors...
After maybe 10-20 miles, she settles down, and all is good till next time.
IIRC, this is not uncommon, and has been noted before on this board. My suspicion is residue in the jets, from modern fuels that gradually wash out, hence running on choke. I never remove the carbs, just get her moving, and its always the same.
I always try to run the last mile or so home with fuel off, to leave as little fuel in the carbs as poss.

Mustang

yep pilot jets don't like ethanol at all
if your gonna let it sit you need "sea foam" gas treatment

Bob Tosi

Yeah that Sea Foam is good stuff. Works wonders. I am using Lucas in it now and running premium gas. Seems to have done the trick for now.

Nick Calne

I get this if I leave the bike for any time.  It sounds like it is running on two cylinders for 5 miles (ugh sounds like a bmw) then gradually clears then back to normal.  Solution - ride more!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bob Tosi

QuoteI get this if I leave the bike for any time. It sounds like it is running on two cylinders for 5 miles (ugh sounds like a bmw) then gradually clears then back to normal. Solution - ride more!

Lol! Totally! Less work, more riding!