News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front brakes

Started by daveb, October 23, 2011, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

Got a slight problem with the front brakes, the tiger is difficult  to push back wards. the front wheel is difficult to turm by hand.

I have cleaned the pads and the cylinders, replaced the fluid.  so i think its time for new pads, plus a caliper strip down in case theres any crud behind the pistons.

This should sort the probs.

ps, when riding the tiger the discs do not get hot.

any advice is welcome

Timbox2

I had the same on mine mate, twice I cleaned them by pushing the pistons out as far as poss and then cleaning , but it only really got sorted when I took em right out and cleaned em up properly with metal polish, I got away without replacing seals, but its best to get new ones just in case, its normally the outer dust seal that gets a build up of crud behind it and then stops the pistons going in and out easily.
2016 Tiger Sport

PeteH

Check your sliding pins...the caliper should be able to move on these.
Ask me how I know :oops:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

NeilD

Quote from: "PeteH"Check your sliding pins...the caliper should be able to move on these.
:

yep.. also worth checking, and changing i fneccesary, the rubber boots as splits in these let moisture in which rusts the pins and congeals any grease in there..

daveb

Sliding pins are fine really smooth action, no splits in the rubber, i think possible a build up of crud or fluid crystalizing behind the pistons.

NeilD

yeah normally gunge behind the seals - ive got a couple of dental picks for cleaning them out

jwray76

also worth checking the master cylinder. I had one bike that the MC went on and it wouldn't allow fluid back in very easy, which would keep pressure on the pads.

daveb

took off caliper (clutch lever side) front wheel spins fine with only 1 caliper still on, removed pistons and found both pots to be dirty.

all cleaned now but i have an issue fitting the last seal back in, so time for a coffee.

PeteH

If memory serves me right it look like the cruds on the pad side of the pistons...if so they couldnt have been cleaned properly(awaits incoming)

Best of luck with the seal and getting the pistons back in.

daveb

correct Pete  :oops: , crud on pad side stopping the return of pistons, the area was on the top side of pistons closest to caliper (you know where i mean)

all back together now wheel runs free again. Bleeding the brakes was a doddle using the syring method to pull the fluid down from MC to nipple.

PeteH

Quote from: "daveb"correct Pete  :oops: , crud on pad side stopping the return of pistons, the area was on the top side of pistons closest to caliper (you know where i mean)

Oh I certainly do :wink: Thats why I remove the sliding part of the caliper if cleanings required as it gives better access to the pistons.

With the slider removed the pistons can be pushed out past their operating area, then I use a thin strip of used green scourer and pass it around each piston...all fine so far...which reminds me, new pads and a clean up before winter arrives :)

Neil, as for the rubber boots, I have had to replace one and they are not an item that Triumph supplies....but Honda ones fit :)

daveb

took the bike for a spin, all is now good  :D

daveb

serviced the front brakes again today as the MOT test told me they were binding slightly.

sound a small piece of casting missing from thecaliper - dust seal area

rebuilt

it is not leaking and brakes are fine. but do you think I should replace the caliper.

Ironhorse

I would examine the area for further cracking and if none present I would run them. A lot of guys would toss. I am too frugal. Joe

daveb

Quote from: "Ironhorse"I would examine the area for further cracking and if none present I would run them. A lot of guys would toss. I am too frugal. Joe

had a close look couldn't see any other cracks. I agree i will run it and keep an eye on it, - cheapest option  :D

not saying i am tight but I installed double glazed windows, so the kids couldn't hear the ice cream van  :lol: