News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gentlemen, your thoughts please....

Started by Nick Calne, October 23, 2011, 11:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Looking out of the window this afternoon, on this dreadful day, I decided it is now winter outside and for sadly obvious reasons I was really not up for a ride.

Perhaps, therefore, it's time to tell you about my project idea.

I want something I can blast across the nearby Salisbury Plain on, next summer.  If you are not sure what the Salisbury Plain is, or what the riding is like then check out the UK tiger meet 2011.  It's not hard off roading, mostly flat and open but a little tricky on a standard steamer in places, especially if there is any sign of mud.  

I would prefer fewer fairings to break, (much) less weight, no need to take a pillion, off roady type tyres, smaller tank size, slimmer seat...

So here is what is I have in mind...

Here is what I'm thinking it made from....

1. One steamer
(I'm using steamer No.2, the other one will be left unmolested)

2. One trimmed subframe

3. One cut down reshaped and recovered seat

4. One new tank
(colour tbc, but currently purple is favourite)

5. One single headlight

6. One acerbis supermoto mudguard

7. Two TKC 80 tyres

Any thoughts before I get stuck in with the angle grinder....?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

you haven't done anything to actually make it much lighter , except take off about 2 lbs of plastic  :shock:
just leave it like it is and throw some knobbies on it . it's going to handle just the same . and if something breaks ................oh well
at least it will look better than the Frankenstein you have pictured  :ImaPoser

Nick Calne

Hahaha Frankenstein, cheers for that Mustang!  

As for weight - The boxes of stuff I took off to get to a stripped down stage to make the photo weighed a tonne! What were Triumph making steamer components from originally?  Melted-down blacksmiths' anvils spring to mind as a possibility.  I promise you the pillion footpegs alone weighed slightly more than a honda goldwing.

Moving the bikes around in the garage the difference in weight is already very clear...admittedly there is some to go back though.

Nick Calne

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "nickcalne"frankensteamer?
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

A new thread?

Not so strangely the same thoughts have been running through the remnants of my grey matter, inspired by many on the forum, not least of whom are Rocinante & Redhen, now you :wink:

I am a little ahead of you in one way, that I have the donor (or at least Jaythro is looking after it for me) and a mounting pile of bits I'm collecting.

Plan is I will keep the one in Singapore largely bog standard since it is turning out so well and I have been lucky enough to find so many good original parts, then bring it back to the UK eventually.

The Roadie will eventually go for either an XC or a 1200 depending on how they shape up as a two up traveller. Missus is not keen to get on the back of the Roadie though it's a great bike and I love every minute I get on it.

Cunning enough of a plan to stick a tail on it and call it a fox my Lord?

I agree with what Mustang is saying and I think that is bourne out by what others have done before us. So in the words of Sir Issac, I am quite happy to stand on the shoulders of giants on this project but I will be watching your progress and ideas as I'm sure you'll be joining that catagory  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

3-1 exhaust... standard one weighs a ton..
 also over on the TRat forum there was some pics of one with single headlight and t/bird triple fuel tank - looked like a bonneville scrambler on steroids..  not sure if that would save much weight but looking stylish whilst falling over has to be part of the fun surely?!

Rocinante

Quote from: "NeilD"3-1 exhaust... standard one weighs a ton..

Agree. It makes even more difference than just removing about 9-10 kg, since most of the weight sits high up in the mufflers. Makes a big difference in both weight and centre of gravity.

Interesting project by the way.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Sin_Tiger

The big change I would like to make is getting a fuel tank of sensible capacity low at the rear of the engine but thats a tricky one with the backbone frame unless you want to do a Buell.

Then you could keep the leaky plastic one just for style, rain gear or beer one the more relaxed runs  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

I have looked for a three into one exhaust for a while now but nothing is forthcoming, there are none to choose from!  I am contemplating what to do about it.  Possibly get a stock one modded.  My main concern with this is ever getting the exhaust studs out of the block and replacing with new.  There is no way they'll ever receive a nut again, they are seriously rusted.

The other things on the cards are:

New wheels, poss a 21"...

New handle bars that don't look so dorky

Rocinante

Mine is a Norman Hyde made for the Sprint. I simply bent it upwards behind the pegs. If done again, I would have bent it several places to avoid deformation. Also I want to add a bend to point the muffler a bit straighter and stretch it a bit further back.

I think this is it:
https://normanhyde.co.uk/hinckley-triumph/trident-750-900-sprint-trophy-900-stainless-race-3into1-system.html

It weighs about 5 kg compared to the stock´s 14.
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

Here´s ROcinante with the new exhaust (and 21 inch front wheel):

www.dagjen.no

NeilD

might be worth you popping down to SPrint and see if they've any 2nd hand 3-1 systems that you could chop about.. alternatively just replacing the cans would lose a good amount of weight...

some more details of that bike i mentioned above can be found here..

http://www.caferacer351.com/forum/index.php?topic=539.0

its all in Portugese, but plenty of pictures to look at.. :)

Nick Calne

Niall, Neil, Dag  - Good stuff thanks...

Here are a couple of the pictures from the link Neil posted... I love it, just the ticket, check out them little conical exhausts - brilliant!

Wonder why he went for brown though?  I think that's taking the 'steamer' thing too literally!   Suppose it's easier to clean crap off than black...

:lol:  :Topes

Here are a few other photo's I've been looking at for reference purposes....this is what I got in mind.

rybes

i like that nick. itll look good when ya built it  8)
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

fishnbiker

Quote from: "Rocinante"
Quote from: "NeilD"3-1 exhaust... standard one weighs a ton..

Agree. It makes even more difference than just removing about 9-10 kg, since most of the weight sits high up in the mufflers. Makes a big difference in both weight and centre of gravity.

Interesting project by the way.

Ditto for me too. Mine lost 8kg By going to a 3 into one with a GSXR Titanium can off Ebay. Sounds a lot sexier without being noisier. The left side now has a tool tube in place of the old can.

Photos at http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/motorcycles
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE