News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bike died yesterday and coolant smell

Started by RT, November 28, 2011, 01:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT

Riding yesterday and bike died on me.   Went to restart and acted like the kickstand was down and in gear.   Got it into neutral, same thing.   Shut everything down and let the bike sit for a min.   Bike fired right up and no further problems.   Does this sound like a problem with the kickstand shutoff switch?

Also had bike service a month or so ago including coolant change.   Bike is not running hot even at a stoplight but I can smell coolant.    Nothing is dripping on the ground. Cannot find any wet spots.   Wonder if the cap is bad.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

Mustang

does sound like a sticking kickstand switch if it plays up again...........
to test it just jump the two wires that go to it which will bypass it .

PeteH

Could also be your clutch switch or a bad lead in the loom to the switch.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Mustang

Quote from: "PeteH"Could also be your clutch switch or a bad lead in the loom to the switch.
clutch switch will only prevent the starter from spinning , won't kill an already running motor . Only the sidestand switch will do that

PeteH

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "PeteH"Could also be your clutch switch or a bad lead in the loom to the switch.
clutch switch will only prevent the starter from spinning , won't kill an already running motor . Only the sidestand switch will do that

Ok..I`ll go with the second part of my suggestion...got the T shirt for that :wink:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

OHjim

Quote from: "RT"R
Also had bike service a month or so ago including coolant change.   Bike is not running hot even at a stoplight but I can smell coolant.    Nothing is dripping on the ground. Cannot find any wet spots.   Wonder if the cap is bad.

Not sure about the "not running hot", but the coolant smell could be that they spilled coolant on the rad or engine and didn't wash it all out.  Now, it's burning off.