News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain and sprocket replacement decision??

Started by TigerRon, November 30, 2011, 06:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerRon

I was doing some general maint and clean-up of my Tiger and noticed that the chain looked like a limp dish-rag and was hanging down way too far. After cleaning it and adjusting it, I noticed that it looks like it might be the original chain that came on the bike 30,900 miles ago. Everything seemed like it was tight and there is still plenty of eccentric to tighten it. What determines if I need a new chain???? What do I look for (wear, length, etc???) Also, what about the sprockets? When do I replace them?

thanks ron  :?
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

Mustang

Quote from: "TigerRon"I was doing some general maint and clean-up of my Tiger and noticed that the chain looked like a limp dish-rag and was hanging down way too far. After cleaning it and adjusting it, I noticed that it looks like it might be the original chain that came on the bike 30,900 miles ago. Everything seemed like it was tight and there is still plenty of eccentric to tighten it. What determines if I need a new chain???? What do I look for (wear, length, etc???) Also, what about the sprockets? When do I replace them?

thanks ron  :?
if its a regina chain its the original

measure 20 links from pin center to pin center it should be 12 1/2 inches
do this in a couple of spots anything other than 12.5 inches means you need a new chain

new chain = new sprockets at the same time
also when you do a chain job do the rub block and rub strip at the same time

well maintained you should be good for another 15-20 k miles
ps . the chain likes to be loose on a steamer you should have between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch play when its on the sidestand with no additional weight on the bike

these links  will help

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5024

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5260

TigerRon

Thanks Mustang, appreciate the great info. I checked on EBAY and chains (530-114) run between $39 - $129,,, regular roller, O-ring, X-ring?? Which should I get??  Higher cost doesn't always equal better, though it does most of the time.

This is by far the best forum Ive ever used. Thanks for the great help...
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

Mustang

stay far far away from the ebay chains .................

use this
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... =SLIsearch
it will work just fine on a tigger
114 link in black is 92 bucks
kept well oiled it will easily see 20k miles

sprockets can be found online too
if they aint listed for a tigger ones for a trophy are the same thing
stock ratio for steamer is 18 tooth front 48 tooth rear

TigerRon

Thanks Mustang, I'm ordering it tonight. Checking for sprockets now..

Rode this afternoon after adjusting the chain and pumping up the rear shock ,,, I love the way this bike handles. Drug my hard pucks on a couple of corners. Cant wait  to get all the past due maintenance completed. Im going to pull the spark plugs tomorrow, they look like they have never been changed either. Next week will be checking the valves. I hate to see people own a nice bike and never take care of it. The previous owner was the original owner and  he never did anything except change the oil and put gas in it.  What a moron...

Appreciate the help.
Ron
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

Sin_Tiger

Welcome to the previously unloved Steamer club :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Tiger Ron

I like JT sprockets heres a front one listed for trophy at motorcycle superstore it's 18 tooth 22 bucks
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... Parts.aspx

it's what a steamer takes

Dennis kirk has the rear JT sprocket for 56 bucks

https://www.denniskirk.com/jt/rear-spro ... 530548.sku

TigerRon

Thanks Mustang,, Ill check em out

Ron
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

TigerRon

Thanks for invite Sin Tiger.... This forum rocks,, I posted a couple of message on one of the other Triumph forums and got a lot of blank stares (I guess they were blank stares).

I hope that I can return the favors in the future. I believe in the universal law of reciprocity. :shock:
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

Sin_Tiger

Reciprocity definitely describes this place in a nutshell, speaking of which I have been a bit lax lately   :oops:  better get busy at the weekend.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fishnbiker

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Welcome to the previously unloved Steamer club :roll:

I think if you give it some love, you will fall in love. I got mine in 1997. Haven't found a better ride yet.

http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/motorcycles
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

TigerRon

Hey Mustang, I would like a little more low end grunt on my tiger, Im going to go with a 17 tooth primary instead of 18. I dont do a lot of high speed driving, so the loss of top end wont bother me any. Ill stay with stock rear sprocket.
thanks ron
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

Mustang

The 17 is fine , I run a 17 on the sidecar tigger , really helps to get the tug moving especially on the hills of NH

you will see about a 500 rpm increase at 60mph , it really gives the steamer some added hot rod power . she'll still pull clean past a 110 pretty friggin quick

Nick Calne

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Welcome to the previously unloved Steamer club :roll:

Nice one Sin.  Is there anyone with a steamer that does not belong in this club?  They all seems to have had at least one careless owner.  Has anyone bought one from new and kept it, I wonder? (and kept it well?  Mustang maybe?)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

TigerRon

Good question Nick, My 95 had virtually no maintenance. It was however, kept inside a heated and air-conditioned garage, was waxed and polished, but other than cosmetic, not much was done. Im getting all the past due maint done and Ill have one nice lice little tiger.... gotta love it.
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600