News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How Often

Started by Bakerboy, December 03, 2011, 06:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakerboy

Bike is now stored over winter,just wondered how often members actually start the bike & let it run for a few minutes,bike is on optimizer,but was still a b*stard to start today,hasn't been started for 4 weeks,thinking I might have to start it every week,battery did seem a little discharged,engine slow turning over,optimizer showed charging symbol,so I assume the battery is ok? :(

cosmo

Stored?!?!  What is meaning of "stored"??

Seriously, I am tetched. I ride all year 'round and have only driven my car twice this year to work (25 miles, one way). I live near Chicago, similar to a British climate, but with a bit more snow.

Toys for Tots, the annual Chicago parade is tomorrow, and I will be in it.

Dunno the answer to your quandry.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

ArcticTiger

Quote from: "Bakerboy"Bike is now stored over winter,just wondered how often members actually start the bike & let it run for a few minutes,bike is on optimizer,but was still a b*stard to start today,hasn't been started for 4 weeks,thinking I might have to start it every week,battery did seem a little discharged,engine slow turning over,optimizer showed charging symbol,so I assume the battery is ok? :(

Batt might be bad, if charger still shows "charging" after 4 weeks. Could be it will not take charge, = dead.

For what reason do you want to start your engine and let it run just for a short period during storage?
I NEVER start a engine for a short period during storage :!:  When started, it should be run and driven to reach normal temp.
Reason: When engine runs cold with choke on, there will be unburnt and partially burnt gas and acidic condence sipping past the piston rings and into the oil :shock: , and into the exhaust system. This can/will cause corrosion. You dont want that?
Running engine to normal temp will let unburnt gas and condence evaporate before it does any harm to engine and exhaust system.
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

rf9rider

I run mine once a week during winter, i let it run until the fans kick in, thats usually up to normal temp then.
I`ve done this with all my bikes, never had a problem as yet.
And i do try to get out on it when i can, even a short 5 minute ride around the block!
Too old for winter riding now, my joints won`t stand it!  :lol:

NZDeano

Quote from: "ArcticTiger"
Quote from: "Bakerboy"Bike is now stored over winter,just wondered how often members actually start the bike & let it run for a few minutes,bike is on optimizer,but was still a b*stard to start today,hasn't been started for 4 weeks,thinking I might have to start it every week,battery did seem a little discharged,engine slow turning over,optimizer showed charging symbol,so I assume the battery is ok? :(

Batt might be bad, if charger still shows "charging" after 4 weeks. Could be it will not take charge, = dead.

For what reason do you want to start your engine and let it run just for a short period during storage?
I NEVER start a engine for a short period during storage :!:  When started, it should be run and driven to reach normal temp.
Reason: When engine runs cold with choke on, there will be unburnt and partially burnt gas and acidic condence sipping past the piston rings and into the oil :shock: , and into the exhaust system. This can/will cause corrosion. You dont want that?
Running engine to normal temp will let unburnt gas and condence evaporate before it does any harm to engine and exhaust system.

+ 1 on this one. I live in cool moist climate in winter. If I start my guzzi for a short run in winter you wouldnt believe the oil/condensation crap on the inside of the rocker covers. On my scrambler you end up with white smeg on the inside of the veiwing glass. Since sighting this I always run them up to temperature now. Good advice.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Chris Canning

I rarely run mine during the winter,but when I do run it,take it up to temp at least untill the fan kicks in.

Re charging the battery,if I'm honest I don't know what to think!!,I've done a bit with batteries group buys etc,I use 8 Optimates for bikes/cars/spare batteries!!!,and I'm not totally convinced about having them on a battery tender all the time,this winter I'm periodically taking them off and letting them stand for a couple of weeks before putting them back on and working the battery.

How do you charge the battery??,through a pigstail or through the power outlet,I had poor success doing it through the outlet and now have a pigs tail on.

Tigers can be notoriousley lazy starters,I've always felt mine was under batteried and hence why I grafted a 535 on(don't do it,it's hassle) and even then from time to time can be lazy.

Most of which is a minor detail the price of batteries nowhere days is peanuts just fit another.

iansoady

I'm in the "don't start it at all" camp.

I remove the battery and give it an overnight trickle charge every month or so.

I do give the petrol tank an affectionate stroke every time I pass.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Zorst

Mine is on the optimate and if i don't use the bike i have to start it once a week.

This serves two purposes, one is i feel it's better for the bike, keeps everything lubricated and removes condensation.

And the other is that i want and need to hear the bike :D