News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch master cylinder rebuild

Started by 97tiger885, December 09, 2011, 05:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

The parts for the clutch master cylinder rebuild have been shipped.  I haven't done this before.  Any advice before I do this?  My plan is to remove the old piston and parts as carefully as possible taking note of how the parts go together so that I can assemble the bag of parts that I will have.  The only thing the service manual says is to liberally use brake fluid on the bore and piston before installing.

Mustang

your on your own here , never had to screw with the clutch slaves

take lots of pictures and do a write up when your done I'll make it a sticky thread .

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"your on your own here , never had to screw with the clutch slaves

take lots of pictures and do a write up when your done I'll make it a sticky thread .

Turns out to be fairly easy.  The only difficulty is removing the circlip which holds the piston inside the housing.  The piston sticks up thru this circlip which makes grabbing the circlip difficult.  I took an old pair of needle nose pliers and made them into a circlip-removal tool by grinding down the ends to points which fit into the two holes on either end of the circlip.   I  pushed down the piston into the housing using a thin screwdriver.  I used my left hand to hold the housing and to push down the piston.  I had the pliers in my right hand.  The spring inside the housing is not exerting much force which was my main worry.  I put the plier ends in the circlip holes, squeezed until the circlip came out of its groove and gently pulled the circlip up and out.  It did take a few tries to do this.  I then  grabbed the end of the piston with a pliers and pulled the piston out followed by the cap and spring behind it.  I covered the new piston with brake fluid and inserted everything in the order the old parts came out.  Again I used my left hand again to hold the housing and push the piston down (with thin screwdriver).  In my right I used the pliers in  to install the new circlip by putting the ends of the pliers into the holes of the circlip, squeezing and gently pushing down until the circlip went into the groove.  Again this took a few  tries.  

When I get a warm day, I will take some photos and post  step by step details.  

The only complication was TriumphNA shorted me one O-ring.  The kit should contain two O-rings.  One fits on the piston and was fitted on the piston when the kit arrived.  The other fits in the groove on the small piston that runs between the clutch handle and the main piston.  This O-ring was missing.  I used the old one.  I plan to call BikeBandit to see if I can get a new one.  Not critical, but a good test of customer service.