News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve check

Started by 97steamer, December 18, 2011, 04:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97steamer

HI all, I've got some time off over Xmas so I plan to check the valve clearances on my 97. Its only done 7700 miles but has obviously stood unused for many years. I've put 2000 miles on it in the last few months.

My question is this - just in case a need to re-shim, is there anyone in the UK that has Mustangs special tool?

R0B

Where are you?...........and you don't really need the tool.

Rob

John Stenhouse

Check them first then ask after, might not need it
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

97steamer

Essex. Yep, that was my plan. I'm hoping they're within spec. I don't thrash the old girl and she's returning 210-220 miles per tank, starts every time and idles okay (sound awful though!) so I don't suppose there's much wrong.

Mustang

actually the valves can be out of spec and you will never know it by how it runs .

It won't misbehave until you have some intakes that go to zero clearance .

97steamer

Thanks Mustang (I think). I'll post the results up here at some point over the festive season

97steamer

Okay I started my valve check this morning and ran into a couple of minor problems/issues.

1) I cannot for the life of me get a spark plug socket to fit the plug? Over the years I've collected an assortment of sockets and box tools and something will usually fit. Is there something special about these engines or am I missing something stupid?

2) The valve cover came off with a light tap of a wooden mallet and the gasket seems in good shape. However, it was a right sod to wriggle out to the R/H side. The coolant hose on the L/H side seemed to be trapping it. I'm following the advice in Mustangs sticky but should it be necessary to remove the coolant hose?

I'm goin to crack on with it tomorrow so any thoughts, advice or plain abuse would be helpful  :)

R0B

Tie the hose up out of the way with a cable tie

You'll have to either buy or modify a plug socket

Rob

Bixxer Bob

I effed around with all sorts of lash-ups the first time I changed plugs on my Blackbird only to find later that there was actually a good extended plug spanner in the Honda toolkit.  It would work for Triumphs of this ilk as well as it also fitted my Trident  :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

If you haven`t got one yet, i bought a cheapy metal plug spanner from halfords, then cut it down to fit.

JetdocX

My Craftsman plug socket works just fine.
From parts unknown.

97steamer

Finally got to the valve measurements today

IN                        EX
CYL1        <0.05                    0.16
                 0.11                    0.18

CYL2        <0.05                    0.19
                 0.13                    0.19

CYL3          0.08                    0.16
                 0.09                    0.19

This bike has done 7700 miles and is 13 years old

97steamer

Re last post the formatting went a bit weird?

Upshot is I've got four inlet valves that need re-shimming. This bike is a keeper so I'll order the tool from Mustang