News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Puzzled of Essex

Started by 97steamer, December 23, 2011, 06:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97steamer

When I got my Steamer a few thousand miles ago, like a lot of new owners, I thought it was 'very' noisy. Luckily, Metalguru from this site gave it a listen (and a welcome tinkering - thanks again Ian) and declared that it sounded normal, so I carried on riding it. Now my other bike is an ST1300, so smooth its like liquid chocolate, so the difference is very pronounced but what the hell, I got over it.

Today, I'm riding home from work in heavy rain at low revs in traffic and I'm hearing the familiar clatter when suddenly the noise just stopped!!! The bike now runs a whole lot smoother and I'm thinking WTF?

I'm doing a valve check next week as per a previous post but could it be that the cam chain tensioner has suddenly settled in? Anyone experienced similar? Bear in mind that this is a 97 bike with just 7700 miles on it and had sat little used for lengthy periods.  :?:

TigerTastic

No idea 97 as I'm new to the bike but at this point you could be either relieved or worried!!

:?
Steamer in Black, totally standard.
ZZR1400 in Black, remapped at Hilltop.

JetdocX

I'd stop riding it, pull the cam cover off and take a look in there.
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

:iagree Steamers are akin to Land Rovers, if they stop leaking oil it means theres none left in there and it's time to top up.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fishnbiker

My 95 (110,000km) sounds extremely agricultural when cold, fading to much quieter after an hour or so in my cooler climate (British Columbia). I have twice replaced the squish washer on the end of the counterbalance shaft. That shut it up for a year or so each, but the noise always came back. Diagnosis was end play in the CB shaft. Not a problem other than noise for most of 16 years now.

Another issue you may find out about is a small vibration in the handlebars, fading beyond 3,400 rpm. Most likely cause is an aftermarket front sprocket that's missing the 2 rubber bumpers that the OEM sprockets carry. Put up with it or get a genuine Triumph sprocket.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

97steamer

Took it out for a run this morning and its running beautifully. I'm going to check the valves next week and maybe reset the CCT. Its a smashing bike and really makes me grin like a loon on the smaller roads

rybes

fishnbiker, is the part you replaced number 10 in this pic ?

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23773

if it is, i think i might get one and see if it makes a differnce  to noise in my engine. was it much of a job to change it ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

fishnbiker

Quote from: "rybes"fishnbiker, is the part you replaced number 10 in this pic ?

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23773

if it is, i think i might get one and see if it makes a differnce  to noise in my engine. was it much of a job to change it ?

Hard to tell from the photo, one is flat, the other is convex. You want the convex one. Hardest part of install is pushing the washer flat enough to get the circlip back on. Just take a little grunt & push it on with a socket & twisting action. Don't take anything else apart, it's timed to the cam & crankshaft.

For me, it worked about a year, then got noisy again. I changed it twice, but left it the 3rd time, now 5 years since last looked at. The noise is part of the character I guess.  "They all do that Sir"
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

rybes

nice one cheers fishn. im off t england soon so thats just made it to my list or to dos  :D i wonder if i can change it for a flat washer and find some kind of spring to use instead  :?

fishnbiker

Quote from: "rybes"nice one cheers fishn. im off t england soon so thats just made it to my list or to dos  :D i wonder if i can change it for a flat washer and find some kind of spring to use instead  :?

I would have my doubts about a strong enough spring, you would also need a washer on both sides. Not enough length to manage that. Also about 25mm inside diameter.

I would suggest you get good at changing it, or just accept it as part of the character. Earplugs help me deny its existence.
Ken/Fishnbiker

rybes

i think ill change it out jus too see if and what differnce it makes. then ill decide wether to buy a stash of em or not for the future. im like you, earplugs cure a lot of engine noise  :lol: