News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Nipples!

Started by Robmac, December 28, 2004, 09:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmac

Generally I love my Tiger and the finish holds up well over winter except the spoke nipples!!

No matter how regularly I hose the bike down after a ride and clean the wheels up they seem to rust up before my eyes! The spokes are stainless, the alloy rims are good quality so whats with the cheapo nipples! Anybody else had/having the same problems? I've resorted to derusting, painting them silver and covering in vaseline for winter.

Too much talk of n*****s though and my mind begins to wander....... anyone priced a set of the  new cast wheels as replacements?

Rob

Mudhen

Quote from: "Robmac"anyone priced a set of the  new cast wheels as replacements?

Rob

Sorry..haven't priced them up.  But once you get them I get first dibs on your old spokers!  (if they'll fit a steamer)

M
\'96 Steamer

Brock

The nipples are chrome. The ones on my first Tiger were very rusty when she went. Why not price up a re-spoke from someone like Hagon?

They're bound to do stainless spokes and nipples.

Much cheaper than them alloy jobs and probably more durable.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

I've not had rusting on my nipples at all in over 2 years of crud. I was led to believe that they were chrome plated stainless steel. What year is your bike. I wonder if they've changed the spec of them on later years?

robbo

My 04 bike has been sitting in the garage for a week covered in salty crap from the road, I went out to check on her after reading this. There is no sign of any rust on the spokes but the sensor on the down-pip of the exhaust is rusted badly. :cry:
best Regards

Robbo

tigerjohn

Vaseline rubbed gently on the nipples usually works a treat. But I wouldn't try solvol autosol - it will wear them away! As to your bike........

Mr Mistoffelees

There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

robbo

Is rubbing Vaseline on nipples a jailable offence
best Regards

Robbo

Mudhen

Quote from: "robbo"Is rubbing Vaseline on nipples a jailable offence

I think it depends on how old they are...
\'96 Steamer

Brock

It's as important as keeping yer nuts greased.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

tigerjohn

....... or your piston well oiled !   :roll:

Mr Mistoffelees

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "robbo"Is rubbing Vaseline on nipples a jailable offence

I think it depends on how old they are...

And whos nipples they are !!!
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Robmac

Thanks for the comments - oh and about the bike too....!