News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Delayed Starting

Started by Kill Switch, December 29, 2004, 01:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

99 Tiger - 15,000 miles.  When sidestand is raised, I get a one second or so delay before starter will engage when I depress the start button.  I just recently checked and cleaned the actuator plunger and it moves freely.  Still the delay.  This has been going on since I bought the bike.  I am beginning to believe this is normal.  Anyone else experience the same?

Thanks much for your input.

Best.

robbo

DoesnÃŒt sound normal to me.????

robbo

04 black, 10,000 miles
best Regards

Robbo

Mr Mistoffelees

Never heard of that before ?

Are you hitting the button as soon as the ignition is turned on ?
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Kill Switch

Quote from: "Mr Mistoffelees"Never heard of that before ?

Are you hitting the button as soon as the ignition is turned on ?

Yes.   Very close.  Turn ignition on, bring kickstand up, pull in clutch and hit start button.  Maybe I should bring kickstand up first and then turn the ignition on?

Rick

Brock

I get this very occasionally, usually if it's really damp, although I wouldn't say the delay's as long as a second. It's just not quite instantaneous. Try a squirt of WD40 into the switchgear housing.

Anyway...let the old gal take her time...so long as she starts eventually.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

tigerjohn

Wait at least 5 seconds between turning on ignition and hitting starter button to allow fuel injection software to run through its checks. In the meantime you can leisurely raise the sidestand!

Mr Mistoffelees

Ditto what Tigerjohn said - injection models need a few seconds to `calibrate' their electronic brains  :lol:

That was the advice giving to me by the dealer when i brought my injection model Suzuki.
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Kill Switch

Excellent suggestion guys.  That resolves the problem in my mind.  I will wait 5 secs.

Thanks much.

Best,

Rick

Kill Switch

Quote from: "Kill Switch"99 Tiger - 15,000 miles.  When sidestand is raised, I get a one second or so delay before starter will engage when I depress the start button.  I just recently checked and cleaned the actuator plunger and it moves freely.  Still the delay.  This has been going on since I bought the bike.  I am beginning to believe this is normal.  Anyone else experience the same?

Thanks much for your input.

Best.

Having deciphered the schematics for the starter, I came to the conclusion the issue resides with either the starter relay or the kick stand shut off actuator.

Went to buy a starter relay ($45 dollars) but it dawned on me that I could test the kick stand shut off switch by placing the bike on the centerstand, test a few times and see if I have the delay problem.  Initial tests on centerstand produced no delays.....so it looks like the kick stand shut off switch.  I will test further and see if this is indeed the problem.  If so, I will try and clean it up...if not, hopefully it isn't very expensive.

NortonCharlie

What about the switch on the clutch lever?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Kill Switch

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"What about the switch on the clutch lever?

Oops.  I guess I will have to check that out as well.

Thanks much.