News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain and sprocket replacement decision??

Started by TigerRon, November 30, 2011, 06:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Tigger 1 from new had 6 miles on it at delivery still a creampuff
tigger 2 from new had 1 mile on it at delivery used well but not abused
tigger 3 second hand but in very decent loved condition

Sin_Tiger

You can pick em Mustang 8)

It does suggest how well they handle abuse and neglect, I've already listed what mine had been through  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TigerRon

Well, my little steamer is growling like a real Tiger now. I did the following:
1) Royal Purple sync oil change and filter
2) new NGK plugs
3) new renthal front sprocket 17 tooth and JT rear 48 tooth
4) new DID X-chain
5) new front brake pads
6) 140 PSI  of nitrogen in the shock, my tire guy did it free, still holding after 2 weeks, so far so good.
8) carbs vatted and rebuilt, new gaskets,  etc.

Sweeeeet,,,, this thing hauls butt,,,,no hesitation now,,, just wheelies on demand...I think the 17 tooth front is perfect for the hilly, twisties here in North Georgia mountains,,,.gotta love it.
Used the maint guide published here on this forum for the chain swap, thanks for all the help you have given me. Thanks Mustang....
Have a great Christmas, Xmas, Hanukkah, or whatever you prefer to celebrate. Ron
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

JetdocX

Where did you put the transmission fluid? :roll:

Did you put english air in the shock, too?
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Where did you put the transmission fluid? :roll:

One must have the best don't you know :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TigerRon

Quote from: "JetdocX"Where did you put the transmission fluid? :roll:

That was a redundant statement, eng and tran oil are the same.da....my bad
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

fishnbiker

Quote from: "TigerRon"Hey Mustang, I would like a little more low end grunt on my tiger, I'm going to go with a 17 tooth primary instead of 18. I dont do a lot of high speed driving, so the loss of top end wont bother me any. Ill stay with stock rear sprocket.
thanks ron

Have it both ways.

I did the "cut" through the sprocket cover. Now I can run on pavement all day on a 19 tooth, then change to a 17 tooth (for multiple days of gravel) within 15 minutes, then back in another 15. Well documented somewhere here under "sprocket maintenance" or similar.

Also some info at  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5024

Another consideration is the brand of sprocket. Genuine Triumph pieces & some others have 2 rubber bumpers that minimize handlebar vibrations under 3,400 rpm. Solid steel sprockets have more vibration.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

TigerRon

Ken, I seem to have a little more vibration after changing to the 17 tooth sprocket. My mirrors are not usable over 55 mph. The vibration shakes them to the point that I have to touch them before I change lanes. :cry: I like the extra torque, but dont like the vibration. Any suggestions??[/quote]
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

fishnbiker

Quote from: "TigerRon"Ken, I seem to have a little more vibration after changing to the 17 tooth sprocket. My mirrors are not usable over 55 mph. The vibration shakes them to the point that I have to touch them before I change lanes. :cry: I like the extra torque, but don't like the vibration. Any suggestions??
[/quote]

First, which type of sprocket do you have ? The plain steel or sandwiched rubber? The rubberized one is the best bet.

Choice of rpm range may help out when at a steady speed. You may have to experiment with engine speeds to find the comfort zone.

My mirrors usually do the same on the 17 tooth sprocket. Shoulder checking when lane changing is always a good idea anyway.

My riding style on Felix is typically 500~1000km of pavement to get to a site where we do 5~8  days (2,000+ km) of logging/mine roads. I only use the specific sprocket for my chosen rides. I went the route of many others by cutting the sprocket cover free of the oil reservoir, making sprocket changes a short easy 15 minute task. I can ride pavement with a 19 tooth, then change to a 17 tooth when entering the gravel. This works best when doing one or the other for several days, not so much for an afternoon jaunt. This changes the fuel consumption too. Max 270 km to reserve on the 17 tooth (usually in 2nd to 4th gear for hours at a time), 340 km highway on the 19 tooth. I use the 19 tooth around town & general near home riding. The same chain will do both sprockets with a slack adjustment.

If thinking about this, you might search out a spare sprocket cover to work on while keeping the original in the bike, as this does require parts cutting & welding up a new oil filling spout. I got mine for $50 off Ebay. The second photo is my version of this upgrade. Lots of info here on that subject.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

TigerRon

I think I found my culprit. I noticed that one of my spoke weights on my front wheel is missing. I put new front tires on a couple of weeks ago and when they balanced the tires, they used spoke weights, which I dont really like, since if they are not crimped correctly, they can sling themselves off. I ride on a lot of gravel/dirt roads and I think the rough roads may have ate one of them. Im going back to the dealer this week to get it rebalanced.
thanks ron
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600