News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Keep the Girly or buy a Beaker

Started by dino246, January 03, 2012, 03:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dino246

So I've been riding a 2006 Tiger 955i for 6 months and have been farkling the hell out of it because I am a compulsive tinkerer. I bought the bike for 3500 with 7k miles and have done almost everything to her short of a shock, exhaust can, proper boxes, and knobbie tires.
I have been offered a dam good job and this got my mind thinking. Do I keep my 955i or get a new 800xc.

I'm moving to Texas and think there might be some dirt to play in and the xc is lighter and has many pluses.
Ant thoughts?

flaco

I think you're a lucky bloke!

good luck whatever you do.
kernow bys vyken

Sin_Tiger

I like the way you think ' more salary, another bike'   8)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

get a light weight dirt bike, keep the 955i because that engine is so gooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!! any money you save spend on burning some rubber on both bikes. Nice to be in difficult position  :roll:   cheers Spud  :wink:

cascadetiger

I have a 98 Steamer with 30,000 miles, needs nothing right now.  So I don't have a reason to change bikes.  Still, I am being pulled towards the new Tiger 800 XC.  Is it worth the change?

fraser ross

get the biggie 1200 you know it makes sense  :D

ArcticTiger

Quote from: "dino246"Do I keep my 955i or get a new 800xc.

Your question is formulated in a wrong way: The term "...or..." is wrong, it should read "...and...".

The answer is: Yes! :D
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

zadok_oz

You guys don't know how lucky you are with your prices over there! Keep it AND buy the 800. The 955 is a great for those longer trips. :D
7,000 miles! It's brand new!
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

Chris Canning

Farkle/compulsive tinkerer?,no shock? or pipe?,wheels? brakes?airbox mod? so what is on it? :?

I'd do nothing till you've ridden a 1200,but my info tells me it won't out run a 955 with a 19t sprocket :roll:

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "cascadetiger"I have a 98 Steamer with 30,000 miles, needs nothing right now.  So I don't have a reason to change bikes.  Still, I am being pulled towards the new Tiger 800 XC.  Is it worth the change?

I've had that same conversation in my head.  I love my Steamer but sometimes think it would be nice to enter the 21st century with fuel injection, ABS and such.  Then I think about the $10K difference it would cost me to make the switch, and those things seem a little less important.
I may look for a nice low-mile Bonneville for $5-6K and keep my Steamer.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

chairhead

Quote from: "dino246"Do I keep my 955i or get a new 800xc.

Yes :D
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

cascadetiger

I went out into my garage last night and replaced a headlight bulb on the Steamer.  Looking it over, I decided I did not want to sell it for an 800 XC just yet.  I could keep it and add a Thruxton, there's room in the garage......

dino246

Every time I ride her I get a big smile on my face. I lust after the additional suspension travel, safety of ABS, less weight, and the better after market support, but I love riding my bike.
My farkle list includes:
Air box mod
ITG air filter
Iridium plugs
2" rod riders
TT bars
TT bash pan
Highway pegs
Offroad pegs
SW Motech centerstand
5" LED 1950 lumen driving lights
19T front sprocket
Hagon front springs
Racetech emulators
Volt gauge
MOSFET regulator
All lights converted to LED
Shinko 705's
Tank bag
Rad guards
Front fenda extenda
Dual front brake line kit
Voltage mod with maxi fuse
Additional LED brake lights
And regular maintenance.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"
Quote from: "cascadetiger"I have a 98 Steamer with 30,000 miles, needs nothing right now.  So I don't have a reason to change bikes.  Still, I am being pulled towards the new Tiger 800 XC.  Is it worth the change?

I've had that same conversation in my head.  I love my Steamer but sometimes think it would be nice to enter the 21st century with fuel injection, ABS and such.  Then I think about the $10K difference it would cost me to make the switch, and those things seem a little less important.
I may look for a nice low-mile Bonneville for $5-6K and keep my Steamer.

How old are you?

cascadetiger

56 years old.  I am at the point that I don't care as much how fast my bike goes, but how it looks,. sounds, and feels.