News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve Tap??

Started by pumpkinhead, January 04, 2012, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpkinhead

I dropped my bike (2006, 28,530 miles) at the mechanic for a valve cover gasket and to check the valves. 2 of the valves were out so he shimmed them. I go to get it today and it sounds like a loud valve tap, which gets louder with rpm. I've always heard the valve train alittle, but not like this. Is this because of the reshimming? Does it wear in or is something screwed up? Thanks

Dave
12 Tiger 800 XC (Orange)
06 Tiger (Caspian Blue) Sold
96 DR650SE (Black & White)
95 DR250SE (Rust & White)
94 DR350SE (White & Black)

Mustang

Quote from: "pumpkinhead"I dropped my bike (2006, 28,530 miles) at the mechanic for a valve cover gasket and to check the valves. 2 of the valves were out so he shimmed them. I go to get it today and it sounds like a loud valve tap, which gets louder with rpm. I've always heard the valve train alittle, but not like this. Is this because of the reshimming? Does it wear in or is something screwed up? Thanks

Dave
sounds to me like something aint right .............good luck getting it sorted

Bixxer Bob

Mustang prob'ly already thought this and discounted it, but if it's just "tappety" you tech maybe fitted the smallest shims giving the biggest gap still in spec to go the longest before the next change.  Or could have just fitted whatever he had lying around and maybe too thim so the gaps are now too large.

Like Mustang says tho' something's amiss... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

pumpkinhead

I know they ordered the shims. I was there when the big brown truck showed up. Whether they put them in or not...got me.

Dave
12 Tiger 800 XC (Orange)

pumpkinhead

I haven't had a chance to check the valve clearances yet. Maybe this weekend. I'll report back when I find something.

Dave
12 Tiger 800 XC (Orange)

pumpkinhead

OK so it's been awhile. As of yesterday my Tiger is back together and running great. It turns out he did reshim, but one of the exhaust clearances was way out on the loose side. New shims are back in and life is good.

Dave
12 Tiger 800 XC (Orange)