News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Renthal Dakar High bars (Renthal code 631)

Started by MarkShelley, January 06, 2012, 05:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShelley

Has anyone fitted these? If so, how do they compare with standard bars and are any mods needed to cabling/hoses?
Any issues with fouling plastics?
I don`t like the angle of the standard bars so would like to replace them. I may also look at getting some risers if the new bars are no higher.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

Mustang

what you have to watch out for is if you raise em too much they will hit the fairing/windshield at full lock ..........

akendall1966

Hey mark,

I got some renthals sitting in the garage not much different in height but less more sweep than standard pop round if you like your welcome to them to try them out.

As Mustang say don't take much before they hit the plastic, I have only rotated my stock bars forward a bit in the clamps and they hit on full lock.

Alternately take a look at Rox Risers they give you two centres of rotation so its easy to pull the position of the bars back and up avoiding the fouling problem. I just put some on the CCM and they work really well. You can get them here in the UK too now two wheel trekers over in Sudbury have started stocking them.
----AK-----

MarkShelley

Quote from: "akendall1966"Hey mark,

I got some renthals sitting in the garage not much different in height but less more sweep than standard pop round if you like your welcome to them to try them out.

As Mustang say don't take much before they hit the plastic, I have only rotated my stock bars forward a bit in the clamps and they hit on full lock.

Alternately take a look at Rox Risers they give you two centres of rotation so its easy to pull the position of the bars back and up avoiding the fouling problem. I just put some on the CCM and they work really well. You can get them here in the UK too now two wheel trekers over in Sudbury have started stocking them.

Hi Adrian,
I have already rotated mine forward as far as they can realistically go. I don`t really like the angles on the stock bars and I reckon the Dakar angles will work for me. There are loads of different renthal bars. I have a list of all their dimensions. I know about the rox products.  I want to get my bars sorted first so I know how much clearance I have to play with before I fork out on risers. I have some `up and back` risers on my GS that I may try first once I have the bars.
I am getting carried away with farkling! It happens every time I get a new bike.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

ArcticTiger

@MarkShelly: Another nice home-grown item that will improve the riding quality and comfort of your new Steamer, is the "Mustang" lowering footpegs :hello2 They will lower your feet a little more than 1", improving knee and hip angles for considerable better riding position. It is remarkably what that little difference in foot position will do for you!
Send "Mustang" on here (everywhere) a PM about this, is my advice :D
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

MarkShelley

Well, I fitted the Dakar bars and they had to be angled back a bit much to make the reservoirs miss the fairing.
I picked up some Rox risers which had never been used for £14.50 including postage on ebay as they were poorly advertised....result!
I have just fitted them. I had to release the electrical wires on both sides from the little wire bracket under the yoke as they restricted movement. I may have to get a longer brake cable as it is now rather tight. The other cable were OK.
I have also fitted heated grips..
I also picked up a set of second hand unused Motad Venom cans and link pipes from a person of this Parish and will hopefully get to fit them over the weekend.
Once that is all sorted I need to fit some different hand guards as the standard ones don`t work with the dog-leg levers I have fitted.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

MarkShelley

Took the bike for a run to work today to get a feel for the new ergonomics. It is 95% there. So much better than standard. I would like the bars very slightly angled towards me a bit more therefore the new brake line is definately required so I popped to my local mechanic and he measured it up. I need a 470mm long line which will give the line a bit of slack. Standard is about 410mm.
This will make everything pretty much identical to my GS which I have spent the best part of 2 years fiddling with!

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

MarkShelley

Got a lot done to the bike today.Much more than expected :D
First thing this morning I took it to Paul Nobbs Motorcycles at Sutton, near Ely and Paul fitted the new longer front brake hose while I waited. This allowed me to fine tune the bar position and I have to say it is now 100%. I never thought I would get it to this stage but the Rox/Dakar High Renthals are perfect and the bars go to full lock without fouling the fairing. There will even be enough space for Acerbis handguards to be fitted as I did a trial fit with an old set I had knocking about.
I also completed the fitting of my heated grips however I will not bother tidying up the wiring until I have some hand guards fitted.
Earlier this week I was watching a load of Camel Toes which The Adventure Warehouse had listed on ebay in the hope of picking up a cheap one which I would hopefully be able to adapt to fit the bike. It arrived yesterday and was fitted with a bit of hacksaw work to give clearance for the `wire` bit on the sidestand.
Finally, I fitted the Motad Venom silencers which are new, but second hand which I picked up from a forum member earlier this week. They went on surprisingly easily. The silencer strap couldn`t be fixed via the original hole as it lifted it a bit high and it touched the indicator so I used the convenient spare hole in the rack mounting plate which worked a treat. The existing bolts are also not long enough once the Motad spacers are used, but luckily I had a couple of slightly longer ones.
The silencers do stick out past the number plate. I did check that they were fully on to the link pipes and they were so I guess they are supposed to. I think it looks fine. As far as I am aware it isn`t an MOT issue, but if it is I will have to get a couple of inches removed from the link pipes. I decided to leave out the small additional conical baffles which can go in the link pipe end of the silencer and it sound mint!

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

Sin_Tiger

:shock:  you got the Buck Rogers version Venom's  :wink:

Those things would intimidate a V-Max  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "MarkShelley"......Earlier this week I was watching a load of Camel Toes ....

Was it just me read this wrong till I scrolled down to the photo? :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I spoke to a chap at Motad about the the conical primary baffles and he said they are a must unless you are going for full track setup on the barbs, which is why they are loose and not welded in. The secondary ones can be removed without adversely affecting they mixture and should still scrape through an MOT, they were intended to bed removable for personal preference.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BigDan

If you do decide to cut anything down, cut down the cans themselves, will improve the sound and look really. Massive cans are usually a turn off for me...

(giggity)

A fairly easy job, hacksaw, drill, rivets and a rivet gun. Can buy rivet guns with spare rivets for £3-£5 on eBay.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Bob Tosi

This just made me decide I need Roxx Risers.  Do you like them and how much did you have to add to the cables?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

MarkShelley

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"This just made me decide I need Roxx Risers.  Do you like them and how much did you have to add to the cables?

The details of what needs to be done to cable is detailed above but it onviously only applies if used with these bars. It may be different with the standard ones.
When you get the longer brake hose, make sure you get one with an elbow ot one end (same as standard) otherwise it will foul the central chassis/fairing bit on full left lock.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Yamaha DT50MX

D-Fuzz

I just added a set of Rox risers with a set of ProTaper bars and I didn't need to alter the brake/clutch hoses or any cables.  The risers lift the bars a bit but the biggest thing I found is they also allow the bars to come back a bit, making standing on the legs much more comfortable.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black