News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve Clatter

Started by Kill Switch, December 31, 2004, 11:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

Hey guys....getting some valve clatter at rapid acceleration (especially from low rpm any gear....perhaps too low and lugging engine) and also rapid deceleration.  However, no valve noise in rapid acceleration when starting at high rpm for the gear...may 4 or 5 K.

Please advise.  

1999 Tiger 900 - 15,000 miles.

Oil change at 12,000 with Amsoil.  Going back to Mobil (don't like engine sound with Amsoil)

Did not have valves adjusted at  12,000 miles because the mechanics at dealer said they never need adjustment until around 20,.000, in his experience.

Happy New Year  to all!!!

Rick

Patrick the Scot

You might try doing the valve adjustment as per recommends.  I would do this first and then see if the clatter goes away
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Badger

Are you sure it's not pinking due to bad or low octane fuel.
Growing Old Disgracefully

Kill Switch

Quote from: "Badger"Are you sure it's not pinking due to bad or low octane fuel.

That is a very real possibility and I have not ruled that out.

Appreciate the response.

Rick

I'd go with the pinking idea. Usually only happens at low RPM as described. Try a tank full of higher octane fuel and see if it still does it.

Kill Switch

Problem turned out to be a slightly loose debris plate (phillips screw at bottom).  Vibrated against exhaust pipe making very irritating clatter that can be mistaken for valves.

Best.