News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air Filter solution, (possibly)

Started by intotheabis, January 14, 2012, 08:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intotheabis

After getting around to removing my air box and cleaning the filter I was looking for ways to reduce if not eliminate the ridiculous procedure.
I read on another post where another user put air filters from a Honda 50cc dirt bike on the intake snorkel.
You can get them here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180702175578?ssP ... 4219wt_985

Anyway thought it was worth the try. I had taken the opportunity to follow Mustangs advice and increase the main jets to 105's and raise the throttle needles by putting 1 - #4 brass washer under the needles.
I took the bike out for a test drive and she ran very good but with a slight hesitation on the first turn of the throttle but then look out    :shock: !!
I coated the filters with NoToil air filter oil first.
I then installed the Honda 50cc foam air filters on both sides of the air box as well as leaving the stock filter in.
What a difference, the bike hauls right from the get go with no hesitation and lots of umph all the way to red line.
I will attach some photos of the procedure.

Tiger air filter mod 4 by intotheabis, on Flickr

Tiger air filter mod 3 by intotheabis, on Flickr

Tiger air filter mod 2 by intotheabis, on Flickr

Tiger air filter mod 1 by intotheabis, on Flickr

Tiger air filter mod 6 by intotheabis, on Flickr

Tiger air filter mod 5 by intotheabis, on Flickr[/url]
Intotheabis

97tiger885

Quote from: "intotheabis"After getting around to removing my air box and cleaning the filter I was looking for ways to reduce if not eliminate the ridiculous procedure.
I read on another post where another user put air filters from a Honda 50cc dirt bike on the intake snorkel.

I like it.  I take it the idea is stop the dirt with the first set of filters and so, no cleaning of the stock filter is needed.  How often do you think you will need to clean the pre-filters?  

I have two more questions.

What is this...a 45 degree piece of pvc for plumbing?

Tiger air filter mod 1 by intotheabis, on Flickr
Do the side covers fit with this mod or are you running w/o the covers?

JetdocX

I didn't bother with the PVC elbow.  The filter will clamp directly to the opening without the elbow there.

I clean mine after a good long dirt weekend, or at the 6000 mile service. 8)
From parts unknown.

intotheabis

It is a pre-filter to keep out the nastys from the main filter. I am hoping not to have to do the main again for a long time.
The fitting is an ABS plastic plumbing fitting but PVC will work as well.
It is called a "fitting 45" and has a male and a female end. I put a wrap of electrical tape around the male end so it was a snug fit into the housing.
The side covers fit on no problem.
I looked at putting them right on the box with no fittins but there wasn't much room to clamp so I went this way. Either way is fine as long as you can get the side cases on.
I will check the plugs out after I get some miles on her to see if it has richened up the mix.
Intotheabis