News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why doesnt Triumph make a 450cc bike

Started by Bob Tosi, January 15, 2012, 06:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

I've been following the Dakar this year very closely.  Why doesnt Triumph make a 450cc bike and campaign the Dakar?

A little Tiger would be way cool. Call it a Cheetah!
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

MarkShelley

This would be a competition bike and there is no point doing it unless you do it properly and are competitive and it would be an expensive exercise.
Triumph have been pretty good at judging which market sectors to enter so far i.e. ones where there is a profit to be made.
I suspect that they do not consider that the development costs would be justified.
I wouldn`t be surprised to see a smaller capacity bike of some description at some stage though.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

Bixxer Bob

If it comes it'll be when the youth market develops. The biggest UK show, the NEC, last Nov showed a big upsurge in 250cc and  learner-legal bikes. Seems the drop in grown-up sales and need to find new markets have woken makers up to what we've been telling them for years- they  need to bottom feed the market. Other brands are investing to develop that market now, Honda's First Licence scheme for instance.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Triumph got burned with their 600/50 daytona,the only way you can sell that kind of stuff is through racing,which they had to do in the end with Craig Jones,who won the final supersport round of Triumphs last race,although over the years I've heard some interesting tales about how big the engine was :oops:

BMW had a go a couple of years ago,even hired Dave Knight,BM were adament the bike was the way to go,Knight walk away from the bike and the contract,Triumph will have learned a lesson from that,never say never but the offroad market is really niche,maybe 10/15 years from now when Trumph have covered all the other angles.

Bob Tosi

I think Triumph could look at all the other bikes and improve on what is already in the market.  If their approach was right they could make a killing in the 450-650cc class.  BMW blew it with the X Challenge and the GX450 and that marketing.

Triumph could be a force in the dualsport market with a good small bike.  Can you imagine a Dakar win or place for Triumph!

MarkShelley

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"I think Triumph could look at all the other bikes and improve on what is already in the market.  If their approach was right they could make a killing in the 450-650cc class.  BMW blew it with the X Challenge and the GX450 and that marketing.

Triumph could be a force in the dualsport market with a good small bike.  Can you imagine a Dakar win or place for Triumph!

I am not sure the market is big enough in that class to justify the expense. I imagine Triumph, along with all the other manufacturers will be watching how Husqvarna get on under BMW ownership with great interest. I have to say their bikes look great. It will be interesting to see if they grow the market of just steal sales from those orange Austrians.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

Bob Tosi

QuoteI have to say their bikes look great. It will be interesting to see if they grow the market of just steal sales from those orange Austrians.
:ImaPoser