News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Insurance renewal time

Started by Tigertriple, January 19, 2012, 10:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigertriple

Its that time again when the insurers want to be your friend. After being royaly fooked about by Swinton Insurance a few months ago I decided that I would not use them again.

The reason being that I accidentally cancelled my direct debit payment and so as not to delay paying I gave them a call to pay them by bank card. I was told that they could not take a payment until after the date it was due for collection and told me to call back.

Here's the good bit. When I called them back they said that I had defaulted on my payment and as a result they would be charging me £12.00 for late payment  :evil:  WTF.

After a long and heated discussion I had no option other than to pay the £12.00. I told them I would not be using them again. Now that it's time for my renewal they are bending over backwards to keep my business so I have enjoyed rubbing their nose in it and have made them discount my policy so much that they are nearly paying me to be their customer.

If common sense had prevailed a couple of months ago and they waived the charge they would be well up on the deal. They are a bunch of robbing bastards but at the price I have got my insurance for it would be rude not to take it. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  no point in cutting my nose to spite my face  :shock:

Alls well that ends well  8)

By the way the fully comp insurance with all the bells and whistles was only £90 for the year. For me this is a great price. Last year was over £300 with the same policy.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

MarkShelley

After about 10 years with Footman James I changed to ebike a year ago.
FJ became a right pain to deal with as I was kept on hold for between 15 and 30 mins everytime I phoned them and the final straw was when they wanted to increase my premium by approx. 35%. They also charged for making changes. I think £20 a go.
I have changed bikes about 5 times in the last year on my ebike 4 bike policy and I have done it all online at no extra cost.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Tigertriple"Alls well that ends well  8)

By the way the fully comp insurance with all the bells and whistles was only £90 for the year. For me this is a great price. Last year was over £300 with the same policy.

Looks like a pretty good price to me.  :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

daveb

its coming up to insurance time for  me, so I used the Meekats to do the leg work.

£113 fully comp with Hastings direct.

Its the best deal i have found, no breakdown cover which doesn't bother me as I use my Tesco club card points to buy breakdown cover with the RAC, so it doesn't cost me for breakdown.

HockleyBoy

Just interested, are you having to declare annual mileage and if so how many are you putting down to get these sort of prices?
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

daveb

Quote from: "HockleyBoy"Just interested, are you having to declare annual mileage and if so how many are you putting down to get these sort of prices?

yep, currently I am covering about 6000 mile per year at the moment, but I have declared 8000 miles just incase, also pillion added. Thatcham approved shackle lock.

most of my miles are commuting don't use the bike over the weekend.

Well I am also a old git at 44. bike stored in a garage, plus riding for about 14 / 15 years.

Does this help.

HockleyBoy

Thanks Dave, am having to declare 20k a year on mine which probably pushes up the premium somewhat.

daveb

when i was commuting 100miles a day (20k miles p.a.) on my TDM850 cant remember the insurance being much higher than for 10k per year.

There ways to bring it down, do you have breakdown with your insurance company? it might be checking to see how much w/o breakdown. Although Carole ash and motorcycle direct always give breakdown cover as the 'package'.

the use of a thatcham approved lock like the motrax viper shackle lock or similar.

this is the short lock they also sell a longer version http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycl ... -disc-lock

long version http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... _prod/2277

daveb

just checked with Hasting Direct, they dont class wood structures as garaged, for garages must have a construction consisting of concrete floor and brick walls and secure door (s).

so the quote has increased by £20  :roll:  

Still a very good quote, just waiting for my renewal from my existing insurance company.

PeteH

The one thing I will make sure I`m covered for is the Legal stuff... one of our group had an issue with van a while back and the legal expensives alone are in £25K area.

As for CK...they did me over at last renewal as I`d had an own fault issue with a car :oops:  but still could`nt find better cover to what was offered :cry:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour