News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

makin a wiring loom

Started by rybes, January 22, 2012, 02:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

as it was a sunny day i decideed id pull the sheet of me black kwak and see what i could do with the wirin loom. been 2 years and i aint seen it so instead of tryin to sort out what ive got im thinkin of makin me own loom. howd i go about knowin what thickness cable i need for what circuit. also, how long do i buy cable 3 meters sound bout right ?
then when ive worked that out wheres a nice cheap place to buy wire and loom buildin goodies ?

cheers all  :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Timbox2

These are the folks Ive used before, good service and pretty cheap

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

Or these people who seem to have a good range and have been recommended to me by others. As well as cable they have a good selection of connectors which can be hard to find.

Wiring is easy if you're methodical and careful. You can take the opportunity to go up a size which gives the electrons an easier time of it. Don't cut the cable till you're absolutely sure it's long enough.....

I always solder my terminlas but I know this is frowned on these days. Never caused me a problem in 40 years or so though.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NeilD

and this are worth a try for  OEM type connectors....

http://www.kojaycat.com/Motorcycle%20connector.htm

Sin_Tiger

Why is soldering a problem, I've always done it :icon_scratch
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

cheers for all ya replies, links and helpful ideas. i cut the loom up in the end leavin the plugs with enough long straight wire as i could. now its just a case of joinin em all back up.
im with you sin. i thought solder was the only way to go. ian, whys it frowned upon ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

iansoady

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Why is soldering a problem, I've always done it :icon_scratch

The conventional "wisdom" is that soldering can cause wires to become brittle and that crimping gives a better joint. This may well be true if you have professional grade equipment but I would doubt it for normal DIY kit.

Oh, and I'm not talking about those horrible little crimp terminals you get in blister packs.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

If I have run short of a size, I will strip the sleeve off and still solder them and I think I'll keep on doing it.

Bixxer Bob

+1  solder and heat shrink :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Why is soldering a problem, I've always done it :icon_scratch

The conventional "wisdom" is that soldering can cause wires to become brittle and that crimping gives a better joint. This may well be true if you have professional grade equipment but I would doubt it for normal DIY kit.

Oh, and I'm not talking about those horrible little crimp terminals you get in blister packs.

just to back you up: (skip to page 4 unless yer an OCD eccentric Brit steamer "Fred in his shed" type)

http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/tyco/ET.pdf

However soldering a plug designed for crimping is not an ideal solution either. Then you have block plugs, but that could become a right P.I.T.A