News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How much engine noise is too much???

Started by NZDeano, January 24, 2012, 05:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZDeano

Hey guy's, I need some of your experienced advice here. I got a Girly about 3-4 months ago and have done a few posts on here (very helpful thanks)
I am trying to get a grip on my engine condition by the sounds its emmitting. I have never owned a triple before now, dont know how they should sound. Prior to opening up my standard can, the most dominant noise is a loudish harsh whirring sound. It goes away as you spool it up to be replaced by what sounds like a healthy cam whirr, then back to idle it is there again. It sounds as though the harsh sound is coming from the right hand side of the motor, and is especially noisy in my shed where the bike sits close to the wall on the right hand side. I am very soon taking it to be checked over by a Triumph mechanic who is going to adjust the mapping, and do a general check over, so I am hoping they can tell me if my bike sounds normal. Until then, and to put my mind to rest (and give me the confidence to ride it) Are these bikes known to have any particular noises associated with them? (as example, like the way a ducati has a noisy clutch) And if they dont, any ideas on what would be likely to make a noise like this from the right hand side on a bike thats only done 11,000km. Any advice will be appreciated very much.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Bixxer Bob

Mine's done double your miles and just recently started to sound a bit noisier, on the right side too.  I had the cam cover off and the starter cover too but found nothing amiss so I'm just keeping an eye (ear) on it.  Still not as noisy as a Steamer :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NZDeano

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Mine's done double your miles and just recently started to sound a bit noisier, on the right side too.  I had the cam cover off and the starter cover too but found nothing amiss so I'm just keeping an eye (ear) on it.  Still not as noisy as a Steamer :lol:

Hmmmmm???  Thanks Bob, I wonder is the sound yours is starting to make on the right hand side a harsh sort of whirring sound. You know, not a knock or click or buzz, but a whirr. Does yours go away when spooled up? I would love to hear another triple like mine to be able to tell.
But it sounds like from your experience that these bikes shouldnt sound noisy in particular, but steamers do. What is the sound of a steamer?
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Mustang

just like your 955
the whirring you speak of is normal tiger noises

Bixxer Bob

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll record mine for you :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jphish

NZDeano - Im no expert, but normal running tiggers aint "noise free". My 06' whirr's too. Plus... if Bixxer & Mustang BOTH say it probably isnt anything to worry about - you can be reasonably sure... it isnt anything to worry about. Experienced tiger owners help us newer owners conquer our unfounded fears, but also confirm those things we should probably take a look at. Enjoy the Girly.

cdubya

Hey Deano.
I had similar concerns last spring on a big ride and put out an SOS on the forum. The boyz put me at ease and sure enough she continues to run great.
Here's the the thread.... May be worth a read. Good luck to you.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=cdubya
06 Girly

NZDeano

Quote from: "cdubya"Hey Deano.
I had similar concerns last spring on a big ride and put out an SOS on the forum. The boyz put me at ease and sure enough she continues to run great.
Here's the the thread.... May be worth a read. Good luck to you.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=cdubya

Hey, my absolute cheer goes out to ya for posting this comment, and all the other comments on here as well. Yep, I know I did this with my guzzi when I first got it, what's that noise, shit that cant be good. But when you here Bixer Bob's explanantions it all makes sense. I think its that awful feeling we all have after buying a new peice of machinery, ''s...t have I been ripped off. Never having owned a triple is probably half of it as well. My unsure sound is amplyfied by the slight throttle surging in idle (which BB has given me some advice on) so the noise is sounding like a sick bearing about to seize. Thanks mate.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

robxxxx

Deano, for what its worth, I also get paranoid about noises. Never really noticed anything out of the ordinary when I first bought it. Then in 2010 I bought a new helmet, a Nolan N43 Air. Could not believe the difference. The Nolan made everything sound twice as loud as my cheap piss pot open face. A job lot of ear plugs soon solved the problem though.