News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Plugging a tyre (picked up a screw somewhere)

Started by BigDan, January 30, 2012, 04:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDan

Hi all,

Woke up this morning to a big screw in the back of my tyre (Michelin Anakee 2).

Not sure what to do, as always, need to save the cash! My local tyre place is quoting £127 for a new Anakee 2 fitted if I bring the wheel in.

The screw is right on the far left inbetween the last block of tread and another. Pressure isn't staying in for long at all, I put it up to 42 this morning, travelled 12 miles to work, then by 3pm it had gone pretty low again (rideable, but you can really notice it).

Can I have it plugged where it is?
Should I pay the £127 and have a new one?
Should I consider changing both tyres to a cheaper set? (I've always liked Maxxis tyres).

Cheers guys!

Big Dan
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Bixxer Bob

it can be plugged if it's in the centre 50% of the tyre. A reputable dealer would give you a fair and honest opinion.  I"ve plugged the 'Bird rear tyre before now and had no probs and it,s way harder on tyres than a Tiger.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Impossible to tell without the tyre off,normally anything near the edges is a nono,but if it is a screw it all depends on how it's gone through the tyre,I've had e'm go plum through the middle but the screw has bust the carcase and your stuffed.

ChazzyB

Get it plugged or plug it yourself. Should cost less than £20 tops to get the job done.

FWIW, I know a bloke who carries a largish self-tapping screw which he uses for emergency tyre plugging...
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

BigDan

Aye, its right near the side. My fear confirmed :(

Cheers for the replies guys, called up my usual tyre guy and asked about the Maxxis alternatives but he couldn't get the "Presa Detour" that I found online, so got a new Anakee 2 fitting tomorrow. £110 if I take in the loose wheel, not too bad.

But stilll £110 I could do without spending!

Its an excuse to fit my scottoiler while bike is off the road anyway :)
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Chris Canning

I see it from the other side,Joe Bloggs comes in,got a punture pleading poverty any attempt to get him out the soft and smelly(you'll be lucky to make a tenner out of it) will very quickly get shoved up your ass if it goes wrong,hence why unless the punture is a clean hole that a plug and patch will fix, best option is to stand there with you hands in your pockets :roll: ,oh the joys of the retail punter :(

NKL

I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

HockleyBoy

Just done 8,000 miles on a plugged Anakee 2, at 500 miles from new, screw hole was out towards the side and tyre shop were not that happy about plugging it but did so (£30).
It never caused me any problem again and held air as well as a good tyre.

I plugged the one before that myself and did thousands of miles on it, again without problem.

Its your call but personally I haven't had a problem with well plugged tyres, just keep an eye on them.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "HockleyBoy"Just done 8,000 miles on a plugged Anakee 2, at 500 miles from new, screw hole was out towards the side and tyre shop were not that happy about plugging it but did so (£30).
It never caused me any problem again and held air as well as a good tyre.

I plugged the one before that myself and did thousands of miles on it, again without problem.

Its your call but personally I haven't had a problem with well plugged tyres, just keep an eye on them.

Don't think this is about plugged tyres per se,but were!!,as for the above story so long as nothing goes wrong it's fine but when it does that punter who's was pleading poverty 'Please help Mr' sure as eggs is eggs will come back a fire breathing monster looking for someone to blame when it does,anyone but him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen the above in the last 5 days,were the lad has been told to bugger off and find another mug to fix it.

I've ridden no end of miles on high performance tyres,but the fix has to be a dead cert,and don''t forget it's not only a plug but a vulcanised patch on the inside.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "HockleyBoy"Don't think this is about plugged tyres per se,but were!!,as for the above story so long as nothing goes wrong it's fine but when it does that punter who's was pleading poverty 'Please help Mr' sure as eggs is eggs will come back a fire breathing monster looking for someone to blame when it does,anyone but him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen the above in the last 5 days,were the lad has been told to bugger off and find another mug to fix it.

I've ridden no end of miles on high performance tyres,but the fix has to be a dead cert,and don''t forget it's not only a plug but a vulcanised patch on the inside.

Agree with you Chris, everybody likes someone to blame when things go wrong. The tyre shop I use have tyres on display, marked up showing exactlty which areas of a tyre they will plug. They are very unhappy about pluggng outside those areas and are very clear that they will take no responsibility for the outcome if you still want your tyre plugged.

Where I have had tyres plugged, I inspect the plug everyday and check the pressures every couple of days in case there are any signs of  anything going awry.

That said, have a new set of Anakee IIs on at the moment so not a problem for me  :D .
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport