News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Variation on the 12 minute Tune

Started by Bixxer Bob, February 01, 2012, 10:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

We know the Sagem-based Triumph FI systems are adaptive, in that they self-adjust when the O2 (Lambda) sensor indicates that the mix is outside limits.  What I didn't know until recently was that the ECU goes through a cycle of storing the trims (what Triumph call an adaptive loop) when the following conditions are met for between 10 and 30 seconds:  the bike is in neutral, the engine is idling, the coolant temp is between 80 and 96 Deg C and there is a minimum airbox temp of 21 Deg C.

When all those conditions are met, and you read the ECU with TuneECU, the O2 reading should be Zero although it can fluctuate slightly either way.  I understand that, if it's more than +4 or less than -4, a trim cycle is necessary.  To force a cycle, blip the throttle.  THAT'S IT. Then leave it for at least 30 seconds.  It may need several "blips" ie several cycles, to bring the reading within limits but it should go.  

If an O2 reading of -19.6 is seen, the Tune needs to be re-loaded and the above process repeated.

I also understand that the Long Term Fuel Trim should never be touched unless the ECU is changed; it's just for adapting the ECU to the bike.

This goes against a lot of what I've been doing as an enthusiastic amateur when playing with the TuneECU settings and it could be that this is what the "12 minute tune" is based on but has been corrupted as it's handed down, I don't know.  Oh, and I haven't tried it myself yet, but this is "from the horse's mouth" so to speak.  :D

If you fancy trying this, I'd recommend first making sure that you have no IACV tube air leaks, the baro tube from the airbox to the ECU is in good condition with no leaks including the white plastic elbow and grommet where it enters the airbox (the sensor is just that - sensitive, so don't blow down it, but sucking is ok) your valve clearances are good and the throttle bodies are balanced.

I've done countless hours of reading and re-reading any scrap of information I can get my hands on relating to the Sagem and have gradually developed some understanding of how it works, but it's very hard to separate the good from the  :Topes  

This is possibly the most accurate piece of FI information I've discovered in 4 yrs of owning a Girly  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Useful post - many thanks.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

metalguru

Very interesting post that, like yourself I have read and re-read data untill confused at times.
I do aggree totally in the findings but would that not bring back the maladies of surging, rough idle, bad behavour in town etc, that we have worked on removing for so long?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "metalguru"Very interesting post that, like yourself I have read and re-read data untill confused at times.
I do aggree totally in the findings but would that not bring back the maladies of surging, rough idle, bad behavour in town etc, that we have worked on removing for so long?

Quite possibly, but this is what the dealer was supposed to do to set the bike up when new and before delivering it to the customer.  I suspect many were never done.

What we need is for someone with the surging to do the service checks I listed, then run it to see if it's still rough and if it is, then try this.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

I'm always happier talking suspension/wheels brakes than fuel maps,but what always bothered me,Triumph dumped the Sagem system years ago what do that tell ya :(

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I'm always happier talking suspension/wheels brakes than fuel maps,but what always bothered me,Triumph dumped the Sagem system years ago what do that tell ya :(

It was expensive :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

delecti

hi,
I have put SA_riders mod update on T10773 with mods on fuel trim which has the bike running perfectly (although using more fuel but worth it) may be a waste? if for instance you warm up the engine after washing to dry the internals and it meets the specs 80-96 deg and 21 ambient and blip the throttle leave 30secs it may reset? :shock:
Mark
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Bixxer Bob

It seems so. But I don't know whether it's one hit or a gradual thing. I suspect the latter because the info says it might need doing more  than once.  I disabled the trim adjustment in my map so whatever I put in stays there.  What we need is for someone to come along with the usual probs and try this (after doing the IACV tube checks etc first) instead of tweaking maps and see if it helps.

Chris Canning

This is about as far as my input goes on maps,and as I told Bob on a PM this is all I've ever done,that is particulary in the winter if it's stood for a while fire it up,let it warm up and on the way to the temp coming up given it 3/4 sessions of 5/6 blips on the throttle,done for no more particular reason than I do!!

The last map that I had put in while ago was crisp and aggressive and would have got on my tits on a 500 mile day but it's softened off by some margin since it was put in.