News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Are tigers more likely to slide

Started by NZDeano, February 22, 2012, 03:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZDeano

Hey guy's, some of you experienced tiger riders might think this is a really dumb question, but I have been thinking about it so much I have to ask.
Are 955 tigers more likely to slide out (arse end first) on tarmac (not shingle) than any other type of bike ?
Since purchasing mine I have to honestly say I haven't riden it as hard as I have my other bikes because 1. someone said to me it is likely to slide with that kind of HP and arse end and  2. I havent got my crash bars on yet, and my rubber is getting low and 3. everyone on this forum keeps saying 'put your bars on' and I am not sure if they are saying this because it is more likely to happen than normal.

It feels to me like I should be able to get it right over and gun it as I have riden other big trailies and always liked that about them.

What do you think? Am I just being a whimp or what? Do you think this is valid? Tell me how you treat your tiger???? Deano
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Yukon

I've got 31,000 on mine and ride the pavement fairly aggressively, never have I had the back end slide on me.  I have "dropped" the bike twice, once in the garage and once in a low speed maneuver (under 5 mph).  Because the bike fairly top heavy, if she decides she wants to go to sleep, there is not much that is going to stop her....hence the need for the bars.

Mustang

the ass end is very well planted ................

tiggers love to be gassed hard coming out of a turn and it's even more fun on gravel

like yukon says they are friggin topheavy and when they start to fall you aint gonna stop it . thats why those who know say to put the crash bars on .

Timbox2

If anything I reckon your mates got the wrong end of the bike, Front end wash outs are probably more likely on a bike like the Tiger, on mine with stock suspension gunning it out of bends had the back squatting like a Sumo wrestler and the front running wide, the Wilbers upgrade sorted that. Reckon I had the back slide twice on me, both occasions down to cold tyres/operator error. But yes, get some bars and from personal experience Touratech do the job perfectly.
2016 Tiger Sport

Colonel Nikolai

Because they're top heavy you'll find they like to stay up more when they are up (more stable) but if they start to fall, you won't stop them as easily. All the early hinckley triumphs have this design. I've never sat on a Daytona from that era but you'd think it'd be the least top heavy. My 96 Sprint is almost as top heavy as my 96 Tiger. But they will both be running for a long time.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Spud

Had a slide once but that was down to shit on the roads and not the bike. I have seen someone grind his pegs on a Tiger he did not have a problem with the arse end cheers Spud  :wink:

Bixxer Bob

I push mine on tarmac and never had a slide (in the dry anyway) and I can't remember who it was (Blacktiger's mate?) at the 2010 Tiger meet went round the outside of me on the Cat and Fiddle run but he was scraping stuff and still not sliding.  As everyone else says, bars are for sleeping tigers although Chris Canning chucked his down the road at 40 mph with little damage thanks to Touratech  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Moorso

I am fairly new to the Tiger ownership fraternity. However, I was travelling back from Coleraine to Derry and there are a series of round-abouts on the way in. I took one too fast and was thinking "I'm f**ked"....but the Girly just leaned gracefully into the turn and never lost even an iota of grip, the rear just planted and gripped the tarmac beautifully. I've done the same thing on BMW (R80/7), Yamaha XT's etc and those two were definitely tougher to handle (in my opinion) than the Tiger!
Author of 'Valhalla and the Fjord'
Currently editing my second book: 'Hibernia - Journals from a Motorcycle'

Columnist for Motorcycle Explorer Magazine and Ulster Grand Prix

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

Sin_Tiger

Put the back end out only once at a set of lights through cack handed application of the rear brake and ancient Metzler, let it go, looked and put the power back on and she came straight back up and kept going, all be it through a red light :oops: awesome.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Put the back end out only once at a set of lights through cack handed application of the rear brake and ancient Metzler, let it go, looked and put the power back on and she came straight back up and kept going, all be it through a red light :oops: awesome.

Note to self !! never follow Sin_Tiger  :shock:  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

KK

ps there's no chicken strip on me Bridgestone rear  :wink:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

NZDeano

Quote from: MoorsoI am fairly new to the Tiger ownership fraternity. However, I was travelling back from Coleraine to Derry and there are a series of round-abouts on the way in. I took one too fast and was thinking "I'm f**ked"....but the Girly just leaned gracefully into the turn and never lost even an iota of grip, the rear just planted and gripped the tarmac beautifully. I've done the same thing on BMW (R80/7), Yamaha XT's etc and those two were definitely tougher to handle (in my opinion) than the Tiger![/quote

Firstly, thanks everyone who has replied to me on this subject. Time to ride this girl like she was meant to be, just waiting on the Touratech bars to arrive from Australia, maybe another wek or two.
Hey Moorso, my original experience was on XT's and I was well impressed at how far over (ground clearance) they would go. So if you are saying the tiger is even better, then I thankyou greatly. Just what I wanted to hear. Next trick is getting the right rubber on the rear.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Spud

Deano I am more than happy to come out and try out your "Tigger" just to make sure you will be nice and safe I may have to do a figure of 8 around the north and south island though  :roll:  cheers spud  :wink:

zombie2

I got me knee down on my Tiger
but unfortunately I followed with my elbow shoulder and head :oops:
On the race track and it started to rain and I didn't slow down :lol:

Moorso

Hey NZDeano

Yeah, I would stand by that view of the Tiger's. I've ridden my (now sold) Yamah Tenere and my mates 2004 XT and the Tiger definitely handles better than both of them (by a country mile!). I also did a run on very twisty stuff with quick gradient changes and the Tiger handled better on that too. My mate who bought his Honda Africa Twin at the same time as i bought the Tiger (off the same bloke) has ridden my Tiger as well....this is a guy who crossed Europe several times on BM 1150GS, BM R80 etc etc and he said the Tiger was right up there as one of the best handling bikes he's ever been on!
Author of 'Valhalla and the Fjord'
Currently editing my second book: 'Hibernia - Journals from a Motorcycle'

Columnist for Motorcycle Explorer Magazine and Ulster Grand Prix

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

2004Tiger

I bought my 2004 Tiger used with old Tourance rubber. It would easily grind the pegs with confidence and judicius throttle, loss of adhesion gradual and nothing sudden. Now with road rubber (Metzler Roadtec Z6) there is increased confidence and predictability. Nothing wrong with the old tires, but it's even better with road tires.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.