News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Overheating problem

Started by Bliker, January 09, 2005, 06:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

I've been having an overheating problem with my 04 Tiger. It hasn't hit the red yet, but very close. I'm planning on taking it in to the dealer to have it checked out. I've read some of the other posts about this problem, maybe it's as simple as the pressure cap?

My question is concerning the antifreeze level. If the reservoir is full, does that mean that the radiator is also full. I haven't pulled the tank yet, but the overflow reservoir is at the full line.
2004 Tiger

greg

I had this problem on my brand new 04, turns out the system had an airlock. Poor preparation!
2004 Girly.

greg

I had this problem on my brand new 04, turns out the system had an airlock. Poor preparation!
2004 Girly.

Mr Mistoffelees

Have you actually checked the stength of antifreeze/coolant in the system - it may be too weak ?
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

whoa

I had the same problem on my 01 Tiger.  The model seems to have more opportunity to allow air into the system which will cause a spike in temp, or a spike in temp reading.  If air settles on the sensor then you'll see a spike indicated where the temp is still normal.  Mine seemed to be air at the water pump which caused a failure to push water and resulted in a real spike.

After the temp was up enough the expanding coolant compressed the air pocket and the system belched through.  After that the temp has remained normal.

The wrench told me getting air out of the system is tricky, and involves heating/cooling and squeezing hoses to work air through.

Regarding the coolant level, the resevoir is overflow from the system and can indicate high while the system is not full.  But this should normally work through.  During my problem the resevoir contained more fluid than before the problem started.

Try running the bike to well warm and letting it cool a few times checking the level.  After that if the temp doesn't walk back to normal I'd have the shop check it, unless you want to do this service yourself.

In my case, I think the advice from my shop to keep running it while indicating hot may have caused problems.  Shortly after the belch I noticed coolant leaking from the right head.  So the bike is in the shop now for diagnosis.

Stay on it.

Brock

There was a recall on early '04 Tigers, concerning the two pipes attached to the expansion tank. On a few bikes they were reversed, causing the bike to overheat. To check yours has been done just get the dealer to check their 'puter.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Badger

Quote from: "Mr Mistoffelees"Have you actually checked the stength of antifreeze/coolant in the system - it may be too weak ?

That will not affect running temp.
Growing Old Disgracefully

whoa

Quote from: "Mr Mistoffelees"Have you actually checked the stength of antifreeze/coolant in the system - it may be too weak ?

Don't have the schedule in front of me but I think replenishing coolant is every two years or 12,000 miles.  That may mean flushing the system.

Bliker

The bike usually only gets hot when I'm stopped at a light or stuck in traffic. It doesn't take long for the temp to rise. The last ride I went on, yesterday, the temp is staying midway to almost red the entire time I'm riding. It also seems like it has gotten worse over the last couple of months. I bought the bike new last February, and have heard nothing about the recall concerning the hoses being backwards. I was trying to hold off to the 6,000 mile service to check on the problem, but since it seems tobe getting worse I'll probably take it in next weekend.
2004 Tiger

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Bliker"The bike usually only gets hot when I'm stopped at a light or stuck in traffic. It doesn't take long for the temp to rise. The last ride I went on, yesterday, the temp is staying midway to almost red the entire time I'm riding. It also seems like it has gotten worse over the last couple of months. I bought the bike new last February, and have heard nothing about the recall concerning the hoses being backwards. I was trying to hold off to the 6,000 mile service to check on the problem, but since it seems tobe getting worse I'll probably take it in next weekend.

Based on what you have described above it sounds like you have something other than an air bubble/pocket problem.  Have you replaced the thermostat?  A t-stat that is stuck in the open position (full circulation) will cause any motor's temperature to be as you have described.  Also, it is important to use the correct mixture, with the proper corrison inhibitors, i.e. use what Triumph recommends.  The wrong fluid (water, etc.) could cause corrison inside the system and lower the efficiency of the cooling.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Tiger of La Habra

Back in september 2004 I had the same problem and the dealer said it was some hoses that were crossed. Since they resolved this dilema my tiger runs great and rarely goes beyond the middle of the gage. There was no charge for the fix.

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Bliker"I was trying to hold off to the 6,000 mile service to check on the problem, but since it seems tobe getting worse I'll probably take it in next weekend.

Geez, man, don't worry about all this "technical" stuff involving "thermostats" and "hoses" and going crying to the "dealer." The answer's quite simple.

Tigers simply love water--the only big cats like that. Simply carry around a spritz bottle of ice water, and when the temp starts getting up there, just cool your big fella off with a little spritz of mist!

Problem solved, mister!--and hey--for you, no charge. :wink:
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Brock

I reckon top of the list is the re-call. Get down to that dealer and get them to check.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Kill Switch

Quote from: "Bliker"The bike usually only gets hot when I'm stopped at a light or stuck in traffic. It doesn't take long for the temp to rise. The last ride I went on, yesterday, the temp is staying midway to almost red the entire time I'm riding. It also seems like it has gotten worse over the last couple of months. I bought the bike new last February, and have heard nothing about the recall concerning the hoses being backwards. I was trying to hold off to the 6,000 mile service to check on the problem, but since it seems tobe getting worse I'll probably take it in next weekend.

Definitely jump on the overheating problem.  Not normal at all.

looch

This is a summary of the recall:

Bulletin 331 - Expansioon tank overflow and vent hoses.

VIN Range - 124104 up to and including 198754.

Part 1:

Remove the right hand indicator infill panels and cockpit fairing to gain access to the coolant expansion tank.

Disconnect the hose that is on the side of the tank. Blow lightly in the end - if it vents to the atmosphere you're good. If not, swap it with t'other.

Part 2:

Remove the expansion tank filler cap and check that there is a hose connected to the elbow that comes in through the top of the tank. If there is - perfect. If not, you need to add one - about 120mm.
Looch