News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mechanical advise plz... scary intake valve...

Started by klingklang, February 28, 2012, 02:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klingklang

Started my end of winter checkup this weekend.  I have one valve, intake, that is realy too tight. The smalest feeler I have (.06mm) don't go in. But what I find scary is that particular valve already went from 260 to 245 shim 22000km ago. 2 winter ago.   What is happening and ...gulp.... what is next?

My engine started to heat much more last summer while stuck in the trafic. Problem that I never had before... probably related?

Is this mean I have to change the whole head or there is less $$$ job can be done.

bike have 80K km

Mustang

It means that valve is slowly receding into the seat , you will be able to go quite awhile on it though before you run out of shim 2.0 is the smallest you can go .

repair would involve having new seats installed as well as valves ..big money .
start watching ebay for a 955 head that is from a low mileage wreck bike .
usually can be had for 200 dollars or so vs 1500 to repair yours

klingklang

I have a 885i,  is a 955i will also fit?  they are more common.

Mustang

Quote from: "klingklang"I have a 885i,  is a 955i will also fit?  they are more common.
not sure you'll need to get a definate answer to that one b4 you buy a head

klingklang

thank you mustang, good for my mental health, my tiger is known to be a good dose of prozac....  I will manage to do it next winterand put new shim for now.  It is too late now and will not have the time to change it before season start.

Danny955i

When you replace the shim, gap it to the high-side of the minimum clearances... A slightly looser gap is MUCH better than a tight gap. The last thing you want is for that valve to open under compression.

The valve guide/valve travel causing it to tighten up is normal... shims don't wear down... cam's don't wear down (not measurably within 30k miles at least)... so don't panic.

Again... keep the gap loose... let your valves 'click'!

Clicky tappets are happy tappets... (even if they're shims) :)

Also... the over-heating or 'higher temp' of idling is a result of multiple factors... older coolant, wear in the thermostat spring, etc... Intake valve gap shouldn't cause a noticeable spike in temp... but more a noticeable affect in acceleration from low speed. Both intake and exhaust gap (timing) can also manifest in exhaust popping and noticeable engine vibration as well.

Sounds to me like all is well.

klingklang

I also prefer the loose side, just my valve who don't agree.

Where do you find valve shim under 2.30mm  That is the thinnest I have and it is still too tight.  All kit I see online or in the local distributor start also with 2,30mm

I've put a steel washer just to be able to take some measurement and I would need a 2.20 that will my tol. to .014  but I just cant find any here.

any link?

KuzzinKenny

Hey klingklang !! have a looky here............

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technic ... tives.html

might give ya more options  :wink:

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

klingklang

thank's buddy. first let me give you a little education. (not to take seriously) Your in scottland and I'm in Quebec, Canada.  If we talking motorcycle, then when you talk to me think that I am in the third world.  So with a tiger here I am probably a dangerous  minded eclectic, a revolutionary, a marginal. To confirm you that we are in the bike third world, I can be asked a douzen times a year,   "hey that a nice bmw.... "  all that to say that there not much dealer here and they are mostly  for the common big japanese name or harley. Their mantality is more to buy that ff bike and get out of here. Easyest way for me to get shim was the honda way like in the page you've sent and hide the fact that I have triumph if I wanna get answered.  But they stop at 2,30  ...sorry for my english

I just sent an email to Jack Lilley, they sent me parts in the past.  Beside that, I wish I woulb be be able to ride in Scottland one day.

KuzzinKenny

if it was mine, i'd get a shim skimmed to the size  :wink:

Canada is huuuuuge compared to Scotland, you could never explore all of it but it would be fun tryin, eh !!  :wink:

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

klingklang

thank, last option if cant find it.

kk....too

Jon H.

Bike Bandit ( www.Bikebandit.com ) shows shims down to 2.025mm.

Jon in SC
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black
1971 Norton Commando - Black
1983 Moto Guzzi LeMans lll - Red
2009 Suzuki DL 650S - Black