News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear disc bolt removal advice sought.

Started by MIMbox, March 15, 2012, 09:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIMbox

Hi All
After a shakedown run on sunday, my rear caliper was found to be binding, leading to rear brake overhaul time. Pads, seals etc ordered, and rear disc found to be well worn. New Kagizume arrived from sandy Bike spares, BUT
Disc bolts not releasing.
Bearing in mind both disc and bolts are to be replaced, any suggestions on removing bolts?
I suspect that heat will be required to overcome blue loctite, but should I risk a air hammer on them, even a piddly litle Aldi one?
Suggestions / Experiences  appreciated ???

rybes

yeah heats a good idea. if the bolt hole gets to round for an allen key, you can either drill or grind the bolt head off. only grind it tho if ya replacin the disc. only take the top of the bolt off too as ya gunna need summink to get some kinda grip onto or a stud remover to get the bolt out. if that goes wrong, next step would be drill it and try an easy out and if that dont work its new thread time. it at this point you wonder jus how central that hole you drilled is  :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

BruKen

Locktite releases on heat. That's all you need as the bolts are ss.....and a good Allen key. Nothing shittier than a cheap Allen key undersized and soft to ruin your day. Measure the key with a vernier, the principle is to grip the flats not the corners of the hex bolt. Then it won't round off.

Sin_Tiger

Hairdryer, or heat gun if you have one, less chance of doing damage and more controllable.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

MarkShelley

As said before, heat and a quality key. If you do end up rounding it off, before resorting to a drill try hammering a torx bit into it (making sure you support the wheel so you can`t damage the underside) . Once the bit is well seated attach an impact driver. I love th eimpact driver. It has got me out of so many `no hoper` situations.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

BruKen

You need 400 deg F for locktite blue to release so a heat gun would work.  A quick short sharp blast of butane direct to the bolt will be more effective in localizing the heat imo, 5 seconds should do.

MIMbox

Thanks for the input Guys, disc off, with heat mainly, and a good fitting hex. Aldi impact wrench pathetic with Wolf 25litre tank.
Anyhoo  22Nm on the bolts? , seems very little, even with Loctite 262.

PompeyLad

Yep! 22 Nm. Which is just over 16 lb/ft (16.22...)
 Trust the force!  :lol:

97tiger885

Quote from: "MIMbox"Thanks for the input Guys, disc off, with heat mainly, and a good fitting hex. Aldi impact wrench pathetic with Wolf 25litre tank.
Anyhoo  22Nm on the bolts? , seems very little, even with Loctite 262.

OK, I'll jump in.  Tired of having to deal with seized bolts, I now use anti-seize on everything. That includes disk bolts, caliper mount bolts and axles threads.  Even if thread lock is recommended I use antiseize. I have checked the torque on caliper and disk bolts after riding a few thousand.  Fine.  A smart thing to do...probably not?  But it has worked so far.  Any thoughts on the matter?

rybes

Quote from: "97tiger885"OK, I'll jump in.  Tired of having to deal with seized bolts, I now use anti-seize on everything. That includes disk bolts, caliper mount bolts and axles threads.  Even if thread lock is recommended I use antiseize. I have checked the torque on caliper and disk bolts after riding a few thousand.  Fine.  A smart thing to do...probably not?  But it has worked so far.  Any thoughts on the matter?

im with you. i put copper slip on every nut n bolt. i think manufacturers put thread lock bolts to cover thereselves. when you have people like us, we dont mind goin around every so often checkin bolts n are usually better at maintainin our bikes than the usual, "buy it, wash it and put petrol in it but get the dealer to fix it brigade".

BruKen

No I disagree most emphatically. The rotor disc bolts do not need excessive torque, those bolts are brittle high tensile SS for a reason. The rotors are designed to dissipate heat. This leads to a lot of expansion and contraction. Throw in oodles of fine vibration and the fact the rotary direction of the wheel induces left hand rotation at the bolt axis and you begin to understand why. Still don't? when the bolt catches on something you will.
I never used to use locktite till I started flying RC helicopters and watched them shred themselves on my first flights as bolts loosened in a single flight from harmonics and vibration..... that's tight to out in under 8 minutes.

Mustang

what bruce said
I've had bikes that needed lock washers, lock nuts and loc-tite and it still spit nuts and bolts off .

ever have a sidecar lose two out of four mounting bolts  :?:
exciting to say the least  :shock:

Sin_Tiger

Rear calliper bolt fell out, nuff said.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Interesting discussion on the copper grease though. Some years ago I had to run an investigation into 1 inch UNF bolt failures  on our T93 radar head. Basically, the head was in danger of ieaving the chassis. Turns out a well-meaning technician had used copper grease and dry torque settings when installing the bolts resulting in overstretch and early failure. Couldn't be too hard on the lad because I'd probably have done the same in his place. :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

t93 radar head ? wheres that on a tiger ?  :lol: