News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another Oil one for a newbie please

Started by inchey, March 22, 2012, 06:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inchey

Hi,
I have only owned it for 3 weeks,Mine has done 31000 miles and seems to use half of the hatched bit on the dipstick every 200 miles.I dont know what that equates to in measurement. I ride to work every day and she does get a bit beasted on the way to work (only because the roads are empty ).
I have had lots of jap tackle and none of them have used oil...
She doesnt seem to blow smoke and doesnt stink of oil so im just a bit miffed by the oil consumption.
I will be doing an oil and filter change so i can keep more of an accurate eye on it :D
What is classed as high oil consumption and what is the best oil to put in these engines?
Also whats the best way of checking the level ie from hot or cold?

Sorry for all of the questions  but i am new to triumph ownership  :D
Black 2003 Tiger 955i
Black Mk2 Mazda MX5

Mustang

there is about a million posts on girlies using oil ..............

click the search button
use "oil consumption " or "using oil" as keywords
tick the search all terms button
click submit

you'll be reading for awhile  :D

Bixxer Bob

Or I can save you some time with a summary. Some use oil some don't. Nothing much seems to stop em if they do.   :D

Well, nothing cheap anyway...... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

GARYSTIGER955i

Quote from: "inchey"Hi,
I have only owned it for 3 weeks,Mine has done 31000 miles and seems to use half of the hatched bit on the dipstick every 200 miles.I dont know what that equates to in measurement. I ride to work every day and she does get a bit beasted on the way to work (only because the roads are empty ).
I have had lots of jap tackle and none of them have used oil...
She doesnt seem to blow smoke and doesnt stink of oil so im just a bit miffed by the oil consumption.
I will be doing an oil and filter change so i can keep more of an accurate eye on it :D
What is classed as high oil consumption and what is the best oil to put in these engines?
Also whats the best way of checking the level ie from hot or cold?

Sorry for all of the questions  but i am new to triumph ownership  :D

I have found the that mine uses quite a bit and have noticed a light misting of oil from the top end, and so thought cam cover was leaking, but no, the oil was coming from the air box, so looked further and their is a pipe that links the airbox to the alernator cover, now behind that is a £22 seal that sits on a breather that goes through the engine, this seal stops oil from the alternator entering the breather system, the only way of telling is pull the pipe off the casing, and keep on the side stand and start engine, look for signs of oil spitting out of the spout.. this should at least help, but do not over fill, to check make sure bike is upright and leave for a few minutes for the oil to settle then screw dipstick fully home and unscrew to check level this should just be under the hash markings.
"Led Zepplin didnt write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"

2001 green 995i Tiger
1989 BMW K100 RT
1982 Honda xl185s (now Sold)
1987 Suzuki Gs 850GG
1998 VZ 800 maurader
2004 Suzuki RV 125 vanvan
1998 LDV 400 Convoy.