News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dead R/R Again!!

Started by robxxxx, March 25, 2012, 11:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Mosphet RRs 'should' run cooler than the old shunt type, so ok to mount in standard place.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

jphish

Metalguru - best simplified explaination of connector issues I've ever seen. Thanks! I will perform 'due dilligence' check before next out of town ride.

pineygroveshop

Quote from: "robxxxx"Well its done. I wasn't happy with the way I did the rewire on Sunday. Looked a bit of a pigs ear. So I found a 4pin socket to plug into the regulator output plug and now looks nice and tidy.
Here's a few figures.

12.73. Engine/Ignition off
12.04. Ignition on/Lights on/Engine off
13.50 Cold Idle
12.90-13.00 Warm Idle
12.50. Warm Idle/Fan on
14.14. @4k RPM

Don't look too bad to me, but what do you all think?
I did not get any reading's with the new reg in standard wiring set-up, might give that a go over Easter weekend to satisfy my curiosity.

Gary, that's not a bad total then. But you have had the bike 11 years. I've only had my Tiger for about four years.

Just replaced the stator and R/R.  Did the mod while in there.  My GPS has a voltage monitor function and my readings are very similar.
Cheers,
Stephen

brad1098

Stretch had perfected this a number of years back.  I bought a new set off him after he got out of the Tiger business.

Ricks stator hard wired- ZERO connectors
CBR 1000 Mofset regulator- Mount anywhere.
***Maxi fuse holder**** to handle current.
These are bulletproof.
02 black-Lorna

tokalosh

Thank you gentlemen (and ladies???).

I will install stator and mosfet as instructed once they arrive.

I can tell she's looking forward to stretching her legs.
common sense just ain\'t so common these days
-------------------------------------------
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "brad1098"Stretch had perfected this a number of years back.  I bought a new set off him after he got out of the Tiger business.

Ricks stator hard wired- ZERO connectors
CBR 1000 Mofset regulator- Mount anywhere.
***Maxi fuse holder**** to handle current.
These are bulletproof.

After further charging problems and getting sick of the whole thing so bit the bullet and did similar to the above:

New stator from Electrex world
New Reg Rec, Shindengen Mofset from Yamaha R1 connected directly to the stator wires so no joins.
Already had the Maxi fuse in as part of the Sasquatch fix.

Early signs are good, charging at about 14.4v when moving and drops to 12.5 - 12.7v when ticking over with fan on. The difference between that and before is that even when the engine is hot the charge goes back up to 14.4v as soon as I start moving again wheras it remained in the high 12s before. Also the Reg Rec hardly even gets warm even after sitting in traffic for ages which must be good.

Lets hope I have finally got it right!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Spud

Just put 2 new stators in first one did not work to well, new RR belive it was one off a ZX10, new battery which immediately died old battery refitted. Seems to be working now. cheers Spud  :wink:

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Spud"Just put 2 new stators in first one did not work to well, new RR belive it was one off a ZX10, new battery which immediately died old battery refitted. Seems to be working now. cheers Spud  :wink:

Lets hope you can just enjoy the riding now, pita these charging problems.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Spud

Little jaunt sunday only 150 miles but it ran sweet  :lol:

Hope yours is all sorted as well cheers Spud  :wink:

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Spud"Little jaunt sunday only 150 miles but it ran sweet  :lol:

Couple of hundred miles so far and no problems.

The real test will be when the Olympics start, commuting through London traffic is a pain at the best of times and the bike gets hot. When it gets hot, you are not moving and the fan kicks in while the bike is ticking over the charging system is under strain and thats where I have had problems in the past.

Fingers crossed I have cracked it this time!

metalguru

Apparently parts of London will be a no drive area on sports day. Shall keep a look out for you on the A12 from the 140mph long blue tube!!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

HockleyBoy

The whole thing is goung to be a nightmare but hopefully I will be able to weave my way through the A13 traffic and into the city. My route isn't too badly affected by "Olympic Lanes" but I may still need to make a minor diversion or two.

Am going to give it a couple of days to see how it goes and then like you may resort to the train if it's too bad.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Spud"Little jaunt sunday only 150 miles but it ran sweet  :lol:

Spud,

Just wondered how your new charging system is going, any idea what sort of readings you get when the bike is hot and has been stuck in traffic?, I am seeing as low as 12.3v from time to time and not sure if I should be worried or not.

I have lost confidence in the charging system reliability so anything that looks a bit low bothers me now.

Spud

First stator went in was not kicking enough juice out apparently so I had an upgraded one fitted I will confirm but I think it was kicking out 14.8 I will ask my mate who's the spanner man.

I had the engine flushed as well and it seems to be running a lot cooler now as well.

Runs sweet now 6th gear roll ons are nice.

Sorry cant be of any more help at mo but will speak to mate cheers Spud  :wink:

Bixxer Bob

I get mid 12s sometimes when she's hot. I was worried enough to think about turning back from a 500 mile trip whe it happened recently, but then thought "what the hell, let's go".  1500 miles in, it's still ok.  I will get round to the SAS mod one of these days.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...