News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HELP!! Engine Surging

Started by TigerPilot, January 12, 2005, 10:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerPilot

Hi everyone,

I need help in trying to sort out what is causing my '02 Triumph Tiger with 13780 miles to 'engine surge' or what almost seems to be a "miss-fire". Allthough I notice this problem at all speeds and RPMs it is more apparent in the 2200 to 3400 RPMs and low speed. I just got back from my local Triumph dealer here in Orlando FL taking the bike in mainly for the fuel fitting recal and had the tech 'test drive' it but NO resolution!!!

They said they "programed" the latest mapping on the ignition system for the OEM Hi Performance exhaust but I'm sure it already have it anyway. The ride back home confirmed that; is just as bad as it was before I even got to the ***** dealer!!.

He told me that he would not do a throttle body synch without them checking the compression on the cylinders and checks "other" things first; and that I would have to leave the bike in for at least two days for them to find out what's causing this surging.

Being the senical person that I am, I'm thinking they are full of crap!!! and that they just want to rack the service bill to hundreds of dollars (seing they charge $75/hr just for shop fees) AND where they probably know exactly what is wrong as I would think I'm NOT the only one with this problem, therefore taking me for an idiot. I'm pretty mechanical inclined and I normally do ALL the work my self (After all I'm an Aircraft Engineer/Mechanic) but there are things that require special tools and time I do not have so I choose to deal with them (Valve adjusting is one example).

Given the symptoms the Tiger has I would think the problem is fuel delivery or electrical (spark) issue but I need you guys help!!!... Please tell me what you think and what direction should I go. I do not mind paying the money to get it fixed but I do not want to be ripped off and/or taken for an a$$ H0le either...

ASLO,

there appears to be NOT one but THREE recals on this 02 Tiger.

1) fuel fittings,

2) coolant resevor return line fitting and

3) Alternator hooked directly to the rectifier bypassing some kind of harness in order to NOT supply the battery with too much voltage(???) (what the hell is this??)

I knew of the 1) Fuel fittings and I know 2) to be an issue because I happened to of fixed exactly that on my own before I even knew there was a recall for it- (Problem is where the plastic 90degree elbow was broken in half so now the return cooland did not make it back into the resevor; instead it spilled everywhere outside and into the right top faring).. BUT the third is the one I question. In any event, they supposedly did all three on my bike (well 2 was done by me but they checked it anyways. so they say...)

IS any one heard of all these, specially the third one????? They cut and crimped some cables to comply so I hope they did not do something they were not supposed to as I can't find ANY documentation to support this 3rd recal!!!
Work Hard; Play Harder !!!

05 Suzuki SV1000

04 BMW K1200 GT

04 Kawasaki KLR 650

02 Triumph Tiger

Dick Boyer

Maybe bad gas, or dirty fuel injectors or plugged fuel filter. How about a bad plug wire, or loose plug or bad plug. Could also be an air leak somewhere. Lots to check, I know but good luck.

Badger

Growing Old Disgracefully

looch

How's your chain and sprockets?
Looch

Roy

The surging problem may be the closed throttle position is not correct.  I use Tuneboy software to make reset and make adjustments to the closed throttle position.  In the documentation from Tuneboy it gives the optimum setting, I think it is .39.

Roy

wonko the sane

IMHO the bad gas would be the prime suspect as Dick Boyer mentioned.  The only brand that has ever given me (and a friend of mine) trouble is Amoco.  It may be called Standard or Amoco/BP, but if  that's what your using, first try a couple of tankfuls of something else.  I know it all comes through the same pipeline and all that, but truly the only brand that has ever given me trouble is Amoco, and the problems cleared up once I started using anything else.

Before you try expensive remedies, try a different brand of fuel.

Start with cheap solutions, and work your way up only if you must.
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine