News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch / Kickstand / Neutral Switch Question - New Twist

Started by topher0268, March 25, 2012, 10:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topher0268

I've read about a BILLION different threads on issues with these various switches but I'm still a bit confused on what my issue might be based on my symptom so I'm going to try to give as much detail here as I can ..

Issues are on a 2000 885i Girly ...

1. The cycle WILL NOT TURN OVER unless the clutch is pulled in period. This symptom is 100% consistent.

2. Neutral light ALWAYS comes on when I'm in neutral. Also 100% consistent.

3. After cycle is started and IF the clutch is pulled in, the bike dies when I lift it off the side stand JUST BEFORE I raise the kickstand. I'm thinking the pressure is "easing" off the kickstand switch just enough to cause the symptom when clutch is engaged. Keep in mind I'm still in neutral I've merely pulled in my clutch and raised the bike upright. This symptom happens the majority of the time and CAN BE AVOIDED most of the time by simply waiting to pull in the clutch until after the bike is raised and kickstand is up.

4. The reverse is also true. Bike dies if I have the clutch engaged in neutral and proceed to put the kickstand down.

All of this can be mostly avoided as long as I don't mess with the kickstand while the clutch is engaged. The starting issue can't.

I'm thinking clutch switch is the issue ONLY but some of the symptoms don't seem to matchup 100%. Whatcha think?????
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

rf9rider

Simple test to see if it`s the sidestand switch, remove the wires, and join them together, if it starts ok, your sidestand switch is faulty.
If it won`t still start, problem lies elsewhere.

iansoady

I don't think it's the sidestand switch as that has no effect on your point 4. Does sound more like clutch switch (or wiring to it) playing up.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

metalguru

Had one in with a similar fault ages ago, sorry only just remembered and it turned out to be a fault with the fall over switch.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

topher0268

Quote from: "metalguru"Had one in with a similar fault ages ago, sorry only just remembered and it turned out to be a fault with the fall over switch.

hmmm .. hadn't even considered that. Thanks for the tip. I'll at least check it out now.

topher0268

Ok adding a piece to the puzzle. Today sitting completely vertical. Clutch NOT engaged and Bike in neutral (Green light clearly on) as soon as I put the kickstand down bike died. This is repeatable.

So I'm thinking the bike is saying, I'm in gear and my kickstand is down. It would seem that it would account for ALWAYS having to engage the clutch to start and the immediate dying when the kickstand is moved.

The baffling portion is that the neutral light comes on when it's supposed to. Also, the bike will idle on the kickstand without the clutch engaged. Perhaps I've got two separate switches causing me fits. Man I hate all these safety switches  :x

topher0268

Quote from: "iansoady"I don't think it's the sidestand switch as that has no effect on your point 4. Does sound more like clutch switch (or wiring to it) playing up.

Looks like #4 was incorrect. Bike died today without clutch engaged as soon as I put the kickstand down. Hadn't leaned the bike over in the least only kickstand down. Immediate stall ...

Mustang

that is more than likely the relay for the safety circuit has gone tits up .......

if your neutral light works correctly than the bike should have only stalled if it was in gear when you put stand down .

if your neutral light works properly 1st thing I would change is the relay , cuz obviously your stand switch works .

topher0268

Anyone got a photo of where this relay might be tucked away on a 99 - 00 885i? Having trouble locating it and my clymer manual isn't much help with the location .....

Mustang

Quote from: "topher0268"Anyone got a photo of where this relay might be tucked away on a 99 - 00 885i? Having trouble locating it and my clymer manual isn't much help with the location .....
not to be the bearer of bad news but ..................in looking at the wiring diagram for a Girly bike the relay is in the ecm module for the safety circuit  :shock: probably not repairable for the average joe
so you need to do some homework and definitely rule out each component first ,cuz an ecm won't be cheap
1. the side stand switch
2. the clutch switch
3. the neutral switch
test them with an ohm meter for continuity and function .
and if you have to ask "how do I do that ?",you will be best to let a dealer sort it out

now if it was a nice simple steamer there would be a 10 dollar relay under the seat that you could swap out in about 30 seconds

topher0268

Now how do I do that again ???????  :P

Just kidding. I wondered why I couldn't find a reference to that relay .....

I've actually got a spare ecm module on the shelf from a trophy I bought, reprogrammed, and tested a while back so if worse comes to worse, I'm covered there.

I got a feeling I'm going to find my issue at the neutral switch or in the wiring .... testing this afternoon so I'll keep you posted.

Mustang

topher0268

All three switches have continuity when they're supposed to and no continuity when they're not supposed to ......

SURVEY SAYS ................. dirty connection at the neutral switch post  :wink: