News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High fuel consumption

Started by xuniter, March 26, 2012, 11:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xuniter

Hello!!
I bought a Tiger 885 1999 last week, it was parked for a year

Things i did:
1. Cleaned the carbs
2. Checked & cleaned the spark plugs
3. Cleaned the air filter

The bike is running now very nice & smooth but i have high fuel consumption 1l/5km

I asked the previous owner of the bike and he said that it's fuel consumption was about 10l/100km and he never adjusted the carbs.

After 10km i checked the spark plugs and they were black..totaly black.

If someone know how to adjust the carbs and how to get 4-5l/100km as all the other 855 tigers do, please let me know.

Thanks!
Triumph Tiger 900 \'99
Honda VT250 Spada \'89
Linhai Main Street 300 \'06
Piaggio Typhoon \'93
Eurosa LF50ST-A (ATV) \'04
Sachs Hercules \'69

BruKen

when you cleaned the carbs did you take the main needle's out?

There is a specific sequence that the washer / spacers go on or the needle will wind itself up the spring to the diaphram. Sounds far fetched I know, but I made that mistake and was chewing fuel like no tomorrow until I checked again (see YAPI thread). If you havent taken the needles out look at the float o-rings. They have been known to perish.

Mustang

first need to know what carbs you have
Keihins or Mikunis ?

BruKen

I took it for granted judging from the model year that its mikuni we're dealing with.

JetdocX

99?  Is that still a 98?  

If it is it's got Keihin carbs.
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Also, when was the last valve clearance check?
From parts unknown.

BruKen

Quote from: "JetdocX"99?  Is that still a 98?  

Oh, mines a 98 .... I thought.... oh fuckit I'm going back to bed....

Mustang

Quote from: "BruKen"
Quote from: "JetdocX"99?  Is that still a 98?  

Oh, mines a 98 .... I thought.... oh fuckit I'm going back to bed....
up to and including 1997 model year were mikunis ....98's were the only model year with keihins ....99's were the first year of EFI no carbs after vin #71698
you english guys get the weird years from your first registration.........

Keihins aint got no silly orings on the floats  :lol:

BruKen

ja but I get confused cos mine is supposedly a 98 because it's black although it was first registered December 97 and it came with Mikuni carbs and Showa forks and shocker. This is held out in the Clymer manual, but sometimes I swear Hinkley just used whatever was in the parts bin at the time. Oh well, I woke up, but damned if I'm not gonna roll over and go back to sleep. Still, as far fetched as the main needles sound it happened to me.

xuniter

The carbs are Keihin :/
Last valve adjustment was made in 2002 :O
Today when i went from a ride i parked it and there wasn't any fuel leaks, after 1,5 hour i went to see something and i noticed that between the muffler and the exhaust pipe there is fuel leak! :S i started the bike and there was fuel coming out of the exhaust!! Is this a serious problem?
Triumph Tiger 900 \'99
Honda VT250 Spada \'89
Piaggio Typhoon \'93
Sachs Hercules \'69

Mustang

you bet ..you have a sticking or stuck fuel needle / float on 1 of the carbs . it is what is giving you the bad gas mileage and sometimes poor running . also when parked and petcock left in on position is flooding the float bowl and running into the affected cylinder and out the exhaust , as well as into the crankcase with the oil .
I wouldn't ride it anymore till you fix the carbs . make sure the float bowls are clear of debris also cuz one little piece of crud trapped under the fuel needle can prevent it from closing.

xuniter

Quote from: "Mustang"you bet ..you have a sticking or stuck fuel needle / float on 1 of the carbs . it is what is giving you the bad gas mileage and sometimes poor running . also when parked and petcock left in on position is flooding the float bowl and running into the affected cylinder and out the exhaust , as well as into the crankcase with the oil .
I wouldn't ride it anymore till you fix the carbs . make sure the float bowls are clear of debris also cuz one little piece of crud trapped under the fuel needle can prevent it from closing.

yeah.. i checked the float needle and it had dirt on it, i cleaned it and for now it is working also i got better fuel consumption (7l/100km) not good but better than 10! Don't know what else should i check..
Thanks for the help ;)
Triumph Tiger 900 \'99
Honda VT250 Spada \'89
Piaggio Typhoon \'93
Sachs Hercules \'69