News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly shock suggestions?

Started by JTT, April 12, 2012, 12:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTT

I'm seriously considering investing in an aftermarket shock for my 2003 Girly.  There are several available, Works Performance, Hagon, Penske, and HyperPro that I've found so far.  Looking for experiences, both positive and negative.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Chris Canning

The negative,the Hagon has a habit of seizing the bottom bush with the result it snaps the bottom of the shock off,the positive any of the others.

And you missed Wilbers and WP off the list.

JTT

Thanks Chris!  I haven't found a supplier on this side of the pond for WP, although I'm sure there is a Wilbers distributor somewhere as the BMW guys use them a lot.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Timbox2

I once spent £450 on a Hyperpro, and it was ok, I spent £830 on a Wilbers and it was fantastic, never was "You get what you pay for", more aptly demonstrated.
2016 Tiger Sport

JTT

Thanks Tim!  

Ok, so what I'm hearing so far is Hagon and Hyperpro are the econo - mid range makers?  I know Ohlins (although apparently they don't make a Girly shock anymore) and Wilbers are likely on the "premium" end of the scale?  Wonder where Works and Penske fit into the scale?
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

atokad

Quote from: "Timbox2"I once spent £450 on a Hyperpro, and it was ok, I spent £830 on a Wilbers and it was fantastic, never was "You get what you pay for", more aptly demonstrated.

OK, I am willing to spend some serious money on suspension, and will have a Hyperpro in a few days that I have ordered. Spent roughly $630 USD.

But I would not spend INSANE money on a rear shock if that is what a Wilbers cost!  Jebuss - that's $1300 USD.   :shock:

JTT

Quote from: "atokad"OK, I am willing to spend some serious money on suspension, and will have a Hyperpro in a few days that I have ordered. Spent roughly $630 USD.

If you don't mind me asking....where did you order from?
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

atokad

Quote from: "JTT"
Quote from: "atokad"OK, I am willing to spend some serious money on suspension, and will have a Hyperpro in a few days that I have ordered. Spent roughly $630 USD.

Not at all: http://www.sasquatchrider.com/index.html

Sasquatch. a.k.a. Jay, is a member on here and www.advrider.com

Timbox2

Quote from: "atokad"
Quote from: "Timbox2"I once spent £450 on a Hyperpro, and it was ok, I spent £830 on a Wilbers and it was fantastic, never was "You get what you pay for", more aptly demonstrated.

OK, I am willing to spend some serious money on suspension, and will have a Hyperpro in a few days that I have ordered. Spent roughly $630 USD.

But I would not spend INSANE money on a rear shock if that is what a Wilbers cost!  Jebuss - that's $1300 USD.   :shock:

Wilbers do cheaper shocks too, I just fancied trying the top job out with remote high/low and preload, Im the stupid one in some respects as I sold the bike a few months later and my shock is now in Cyprus on Cos's Tiger, but hey, its only money, I was fortunate enough to be able to do it and am now damned as nothing will ever feel as good again, Im saving again to do the same to the £13K BMW Ive bought which also has s...e suspension :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

That is the problem with aftermarket suspension it really is an addiction,having to go back to stock  :(

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"That is the problem with aftermarket suspension it really is an addiction,having to go back to stock  :(

Yeah, cheers mate, I blame you :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

JTT

Quote from: "atokad"
Quote from: "JTT"

Not at all: http://www.sasquatchrider.com/index.html

Sasquatch. a.k.a. Jay, is a member on here and www.advrider.com

Thanks!  I wondered if you had gotten it from Jay. I am familiar with him from the forums and have already sent him a request for suggestions.

Actually heard back from one of the Wilbers suppliers in Cal, pricing is not so horrible, if you don't go whole hog with options like Tim did....still kicking myself for not grabbing Tim's  :cry:
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Timbox2

If your not worried about Hydraulic remote preload, thats £200 off straight away, still the same shock just gotta use a spanner if you change loading significantly.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

I've said before on here,buying an after market shock,your ownly having it on loan!!,at some time it'll get sold,if it doesn't have the bells and whistles on it'll be a pain to sell and probably look well used as well as the locking rings will be a mess if it's had any kind serious ajustment,and really not a lot of good for anyone who rides both one up and two and needs the ability for a quicj ajustment.

If it's a Wilbers there's some debate about needing the reservoir+ high and low speed compression ajustment,that will only make a difference if you ride the bike either with a lot of kit or two up with kit.

JTT

Chris, so your saying with the Wilbers anyway, that it might not be necessary to have the compression adjusters?  I ride about 75% of the time solo with minimal luggage, but do 2-3 weeks/yr of travelling with fairly heavy load (camping gear, etc).  

It's a big jump in price to go up to the remote with compression (H/L)....maybe it's excessive for my application?
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C