News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tyre pressure ?

Started by Big Mick, June 17, 2012, 12:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mick

Basically what pressures is everyone running ? I am running on Girly wheels with Metzler Tourance tyres and am running 36psi front and 42psi rear, I only ride on the road, ( mind you the state of some of the unclassifieds that I ride might as well be dirt tracks !) I'm wondering if I should lower my pressures ?
97 Steamer, Caspian Blue.
Girly wheels, Venom Exhausts, Corbin Seat,
Powerbronze Touring Screen, Triumph span adjustable levers.

Mustang

leave the front at 36 psi and try dropping the rear to 38 psi

and for smooth interstate sailing I find that most brands of tires prefer (on my steamer anyway)to see 40/42 psi in the front to help prevent premature cupping
rear I run 38 to 40 psi

Nick Calne

I find the bike is quite sensitive to tyres and tyre pressures. Esp the front as it effects the handling.   seems better fully inflated.  Not sure about the back being so critical but if you are pumping up one then why not do both is my point of view. Thats road riding, elsewhere its hard to say....
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JetdocX

Basically it's a tradeoff between sticktion and wear.  Lower pressures give slightly larger contact patches for better traction, but accelerate the wear due to higher heat/friction.

Find a happy medium.  If I knew I was bombing down the interstate all day on a straight slab, I'd go higher pressures than if I was railing in a canyon somewhere.

I use 35 front and 38 rear.  YMMV.
From parts unknown.