News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam cap bearing bolts.

Started by Milton, April 21, 2012, 08:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milton

Finally getting around to re-shimming the valves on the old girl, and to replace the shims I prefer to remove the cams, I think it makes it so much easier. When I removed the cam cap bolts I was almost expecting the threads to come out with the bolts as they all made a good crack before releasing. What I am wondering is should I never-seize the bolts when I put them back in?

And on another note I had to pull each bucket to get the shim out and even with the bucket out I had a heck of a time getting the shims out. Any reason for this; the heads are very clean with no gunk build up anywhere to be seen.

Thanks,

Milton S.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!

Mustang

don't use never sieze just put em back in and torque to spec .
The crack is normal when they  release ................
the shims fit snugly in the buckets  again perfectly normal

rybes

its caused by a vacuum that gets created when oil gets between the shim and bucket  :wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Milton

No, I can get my dental pick under the shim but can't lit it without bending it. Once I have the shim up I have to put something much more substantial under it to pries it past the bucket's carrier.

Mustang

Quote from: "Milton"No, I can get my dental pick under the shim but can't lit it without bending it. Once I have the shim up I have to put something much more substantial under it to pries it past the bucket's carrier.
thats because the tolerance is so tight .you are getting it stuck cockeyed .
if you use a magnet it will come straight out

Milton

Yeah, I kind of figured that is why they were sticking against the side. I picked up a pick up tool today so I'll give that a try.

Thanks always for your help and good advice.