News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Greetings and Salutations!

Started by nadahonda, April 28, 2012, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nadahonda

Got a little more time in today, mainly to dry her after giving her a nice wash.

I can't believe how incredibly smooth these engines are and how manageable the  power is. The shifting is nice and crisp, and the brakes actually make me stop quickly. Quite a difference...

@ Col. Nico....Yeah, I hear yah, I'm sure Sasquatch will be checking her out next time I see him.....

@ Topher....Nope. The CX will be staying in the family - my son will be inheriting it as his starter bike. I will probably keep it after he's moved up as well - those bike are undervalued and under appreciated. I could probably get $800 for the bike - but it's worth far more than that to me, I might take aeroncas advice and cafe it....but it's got it's own charm as is.....

The only thing that is "wrong" with the new Tiger, is she is afflicted with the bubbling gas-tank paint issue.....I am a function over form kinda guy, so I can live with it, unless there's an incredibly inexpensive way to take care of it....

Other than the bubbles, she is on tip-top shape. Probably going to have to do something about the windscreen as well - My head felt like the poor vibrating creature in that Tool video "Sober"after a few hours. The PO had mentioned some people experienced bad wind buffeting with this shield - he had not. He is 5'10 - I am 6' - If I dropped my head about 2" while riding, the vibrating buffeting action stopped completely....oh well, what can ya do? I have already got a potential fix in place, we'll see if it works....

After the wash, all stripped down......

"Ride the Tiger. You can see his stripes, but you know he\'s clean"
-Ronnie James Dio -R.I.P-
\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

Bixxer Bob

Some of the bigger guys find mirror extenders help too as some of the buffeting comes form the mirror tops.

Not saying you have that problem, just making you aware.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nadahonda

Yeah Bixxer - I will be extending the mirrors soon - I kept adjusting and adjusting, until I realized it was fruitless - half of the mirror was taken up by my shoulders no matter how they were positioned. Kinda bugged me, but I got used to it, sorta....didn't think they might be adding to the turbulence...Thanks for the tip!

I also was checking out the Vario windshield - they look like they may be the ticket...any thoughts on those?

Hey, another quick question - easy fix for a too-long kickstand? I have read a few suggestions - should I just go ahead and hack it down?

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments/suggestions, they are much appreciated....
\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

metalguru

Quote from: "nadahonda"Hey, another quick question - easy fix for a too-long kickstand? I have read a few suggestions - should I just go ahead and hack it down?

Hi and a very warm welcome to the ultimate madhouse! You are right the CX500 was much underrated, over here we called them 'maggot'.

The sidestand issue is a cut down job, a good excuse to make a larger foot. Before you do have a look at the chain as your adjusters are on their limit, this will give the too long feeling.
To lower the rear wind the eccentrics round so the axle is to the top, a spacer is required between the swing arm and chain guard. Alternatively to raise saddle height rotate so the axle is at the lower.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

JTT

Quote from: "nadahonda"Hey, another quick question - easy fix for a too-long kickstand? I have read a few suggestions - should I just go ahead and hack it down?

Too long kickstand?  I've found it is rarely about the stand being too long, and more about the suspension riding too low (too much sag).  At 6', you likely have the legs for it, so let 'er stand up tall and proud.  Mine is a 2003, wire wheel Tiger too, and side stand is perfect.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

PeteH

Quote from: "nadahonda"I also was checking out the Vario windshield - they look like they may be the ticket...any thoughts on those?
http:

Fitted one recentely...cant say I its makes that much difference but Im still playing with the adjustment.

As for the tank bubbles...decals might push out if you rub em with your thumb or another digit, paints going to need cutting out and a quick spray...also had this done recentely.

As for the CX.. check out the facebook  Iron & Air....wrenchmonkees.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

nadahonda

Wow, you guys are great! (assuming you are all guys)

QuoteThe sidestand issue is a cut down job, a good excuse to make a larger foot.

QuoteToo long kickstand? I've found it is rarely about the stand being too long, and more about the suspension riding too low (too much sag). At 6', you likely have the legs for it, so let 'er stand up tall and proud.

Thanks for the tips, Metalg & JTT....I'm gonna figure out how to adjust the suspension, see what happens. Would be nice to not have to monkey with the kickstand...

QuoteFitted one recentely...cant say I its makes that much difference but Im still playing with the adjustment.

Hmm..as far as the windshield goes, seems like there's not an ultimate answer out there, which is fine - I am an inventive fellow and will find/make something that works.

Quotepaints going to need cutting out and a quick spray

Does this mean cut the whole paint job off, or just the bubbles? And is this spray job something one can do himself, or is it a specialized thing?

Anyone know how Sharpie ink takes to the plastic? I'm gonna try that as well.....I'll report back...

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes, you guys make a yank feel right at home....
\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

Spud

I have a vario screen and mirror extensions and I don't get any buffetting. I keep the handle bar area clear as possible as I found as soon as I put a sat nav on the noise was terrible.
Don't write the screen off until you try one, you could always extend the foil cheers Spud  :wink:

Mustang

Quote from: "nadahonda"Wow, you guys are great! (assuming you are all guys)

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes, you guys make a yank feel right at home....
you are at home
TIGERTRIPLE  is actually USA based , but the membership is GLOBAL

try sticking a pin in the bubbles on the decals then work the air out with the edge of a credit card .

more will show up over time though , whats happening is gas fumes / vapors are leaching thru the plastic tank . and there aint no way to stop it once it starts .
and a black sharpie works real well to hide scratches , but over time the ink fades to the wrong color , and sticks out like a sore thumb. A black paint pen works better.

looking at your pic , your chain is either set way too friggin tight ,or it is completely shot and time for a new one . a new chain that has the right amount of links when adjusted properly will have the axle near the 12 oclock position on the eccentric adjuster.  Which may well solve your sidestand dilemma

nadahonda

QuoteDon't write the screen off until you try one, you could always extend the foil cheers Spud

I'll keep that in mind Spud, gonna try some homemade "fixes" with my current shield before I look closer at the Vario - I think it looks like it should be effective - how tall are you?

Quotelooking at your pic , your chain is either set way too friggin tight ,or it is completely shot and time for a new one . a new chain that has the right amount of links when adjusted properly will have the axle near the 12 oclock position on the eccentric adjuster. Which may well solve your sidestand dilemma

Thanks Mustang - I think for now I can live with the paint, but this chain thing...not so much...Having limited experience with chains, I want to make sure it is correct, or that I need a new one....hows it look in this photo.....?

And, lacking a manual, I might need some direction in how to adjust it - I'll go look for a "how-to" in the tech section later.....

Again, I want to thank everyone!
\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

Mustang

even though it looks too loose that is about perfect adjustment for a tiger .

what would concern me is that it could well be stretched out as there is no adjustment left , unless of course someone has put a chain on that is too long  (too many links)
A 2000 885I should have a 116 link chain on it , someone could have easily put a 120 link chain on it though , which would explain the lack of adjustment .

count the links ...........if you have 116 links you need a new chain
if you have 120 links you need to remove 4 links . Unless you have a chain breaker and riveting tool with a new master link , that is a job best left to a dealer .

the sprocket looks like an original equipment one , odds are you are due for a chain and sprocket job . they should always be changed at the same time , new chain = new sprockets

p.s. start a new thread about repairs and questions about repairs in the Girly section .

blacktiger

Quote from: "JTT"

Too long kickstand?  I've found it is rarely about the stand being too long, and more about the suspension riding too low (too much sag).  At 6', you likely have the legs for it, so let 'er stand up tall and proud.  Mine is a 2003, wire wheel Tiger too, and side stand is perfect.
Quote from: "metalguru"Before you do have a look at the chain as your adjusters are on their limit, this will give the too long feeling.

I think your side stand issue is a combination of the above replies.
Either your chain is knackered or the PO fitted one that is too long. The spindle is normally somewhere in the lower half of the eccentric's travel which has the effect of making the bike sit higher and, therefore, lean further over on the side stand.
Also, as intimated, if the rear preload is set too light, the bike will be sitting lower than normal which has the opposite effect.
The chain on a 955i is 114 links. I'm not absolutely sure but I'd guess at the 885 like yours being the same but Mustang may well be right in saying 116 links. In any case you need to start counting. I'd check on the condition of the front sprocket. If the teeth are pretty straight (not hooked) it's probably an indication that the chain is too long rather than too worn.
If you're 6' I'd guess at you weighing around 180+lbs???? Try the preload on "3".
Best check all that out before chopping bits about.
Oh, and don't tighten those pinch bolts on the eccentrics too much as it has been known to snap the swing arm.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Mustang

steamers = 114 link chain 1993-1998 sprockets 18/48
Girly 885I =116 link chain 1999-2000 sprockets 18/48
Girly 955I = 114 link chain 2001- 2006 sprockets 18/46

it's the sprockets that make the 885 I take a bigger chain
unless you go with a 955 rear sprocket than a 114 will work fine  :wink:

nadahonda

Quotep.s. start a new thread about repairs and questions about repairs in the Girly section .

10-4 good-buddy, will start one up with the chain link count tonight...... :icon_salut

If you would like to view or add to the chain/sprocket and other tech questions above, as well as find out how many links/teeth are on the bike, please click on the following link, thanks... :thumbsup

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,11238

\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

Chad

great first post :D welcome aboard this is a good knowledgeable bunch who will keep you on the right track , nice bike with so nice goodies on it too :occasion14
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida