News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Touratech Crashbars

Started by NZDeano, May 11, 2012, 07:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZDeano

Ordered a set of touratech crashbars on 24th Jan. Finally got them on May 3rd. Long, long, long story. Me no bother you with details, but.......
does anyone have instructions or maybe pictures (like in the "how to" ) regarding the installation of these.
I downloaded the official Touratech PDF instructions, but they are not easy for me to follow. just wondering if someone can help me?????
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Bixxer Bob

Too long ago to be much help but I can remember the top right engine mount bolt being a b*****d to get at.  But I  wasn't adept at removing the tank in those days.   :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

My instructions came in German,so I just fumbled along,it ain't rocket science,but you'll need a short(I think 17mm) spanner for the nut that Bob is on about.

NZDeano

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Too long ago to be much help but I can remember the top right engine mount bolt being a b*****d to get at.  But I  wasn't adept at removing the tank in those days.   :oops:

You don't mean this is a "tank off" job do you ???
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Chris Canning

No need to take the tank,that is unless you don't have a short spanner to hold the nut on the engine bolts,even with a short one it's a bit of a wriggle.

Just don't drop all the engine bolts out all at the same time :roll: ,offer up one side then the other,it isn't possible to fit e'm wrong,the bottom bracket is a bit of a faff,but the rubber joint fits up the bar and the other end to the motor,the brace bar is pretty obvious.

When I was fitting them I was too keen on the bottom bracket to the engine case,but having thrown mine down the road at a decent pace they work very nicely thank you  :D

The only thing that does concern me is your horror at lifting the tank,taking my bagster off and the side panels takes longer than lifting the tank,are you OK with a spanner?

jphish

I have TT crashbars on an 06 Girly. If you email me - I can send iphone pics of attachment points.  mailto:johnpdaly@comcast.net">johnpdaly@comcast.net

Chris Canning

There you go,they ain't great photos but good enough to give the gist.

audiododd

Mine came in quicker than my bike, kind of.  Actually, they came in the day before I took my bike to the shop for the 12K service.  Unfortunately, the shop had to order some gaskets/hoses and won't be done with it until the day before I'm planning on riding to L.A.  How long did it take everybody to install their bars.  I have the tools and a moderate amount of knowledge.  I'll probably go by a friends house on the way home to throw these, new foot pegs (Mustang's), and an electrified tank bag on before the ride.

Thanks!
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Chris Canning

If you had 2 people,ie one hold the spanner on the nut and the other with a rachet on the torque bolts an hour,trying to do it on your own is a pain,but possible :roll:

NZDeano

Quote from: "Chris Canning"If you had 2 people,ie one hold the spanner on the nut and the other with a rachet on the torque bolts an hour,trying to do it on your own is a pain,but possible :roll:

Thank you very much for posting the photo's Chris. These are awesome and exactly what I needed.
You asked if I was handy with a spanner. Actually I am, but most of my work has been with older & vintage bikes. I have completely restored a 1928 BSA Sloper before, and have a 1948 BSA M20 on the go at the moment. I have even surprised myself with what I can do, like building stainless steel parts for the restorations, learning how to use fibre glass properly etc. But for some reason I have a fear of getting it wrong on this bike. F....g silly I know. I think I got a bit put off when I read on the instructions, 'Be careful that the engine dosent drop down when loosening the bolts? Then my horror about the tank came from people on here saying they couldnt get it to line up properly after pulling it. I just got to get over myself and my fear of modern machinery and the possibility of getting it wrong.
Finally Chris, I dont have a very good workshop set up at present. My shed has a shingle floor (eeekkk!) and so I have built a wooden raised platform, but the light is poor and theres not much space to move around. I would probably feel more confident in some of the beautiful workshops I have seen on here. Clean, well lit, bike bench etc.
Anyway, time to stop moaning and just get on with it.
Thanks for those photo's.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

NZDeano

Quote from: "audiododd"Mine came in quicker than my bike, kind of.  Actually, they came in the day before I took my bike to the shop for the 12K service.  Unfortunately, the shop had to order some gaskets/hoses and won't be done with it until the day before I'm planning on riding to L.A.  How long did it take everybody to install their bars.  I have the tools and a moderate amount of knowledge.  I'll probably go by a friends house on the way home to throw these, new foot pegs (Mustang's), and an electrified tank bag on before the ride.

Thanks!

Out of interest, what's an 'electrified tank bag' ?????
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Sin_Tiger

I thought Kiwi's were all born handy with a spammer out of necessity  :D
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: "NZDeano"
Quote from: "audiododd"Mine came in quicker than my bike, kind of.  Actually, they came in the day before I took my bike to the shop for the 12K service.  Unfortunately, the shop had to order some gaskets/hoses and won't be done with it until the day before I'm planning on riding to L.A.  How long did it take everybody to install their bars.  I have the tools and a moderate amount of knowledge.  I'll probably go by a friends house on the way home to throw these, new foot pegs (Mustang's), and an electrified tank bag on before the ride.

Thanks!

Out of interest, what's an 'electrified tank bag' ?????
means it has power outlets inside to run your ipod and gadgets etc  etc

Chris Canning

Quote from: "NZDeano"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"If you had 2 people,ie one hold the spanner on the nut and the other with a rachet on the torque bolts an hour,trying to do it on your own is a pain,but possible :roll:

Thank you very much for posting the photo's Chris. These are awesome and exactly what I needed.
You asked if I was handy with a spanner. Actually I am, but most of my work has been with older & vintage bikes. I have completely restored a 1928 BSA Sloper before, and have a 1948 BSA M20 on the go at the moment. I have even surprised myself with what I can do, like building stainless steel parts for the restorations, learning how to use fibre glass properly etc. But for some reason I have a fear of getting it wrong on this bike. F....g silly I know. I think I got a bit put off when I read on the instructions, 'Be careful that the engine dosent drop down when loosening the bolts? Then my horror about the tank came from people on here saying they couldnt get it to line up properly after pulling it. I just got to get over myself and my fear of modern machinery and the possibility of getting it wrong.
Finally Chris, I dont have a very good workshop set up at present. My shed has a shingle floor (eeekkk!) and so I have built a wooden raised platform, but the light is poor and theres not much space to move around. I would probably feel more confident in some of the beautiful workshops I have seen on here. Clean, well lit, bike bench etc.
Anyway, time to stop moaning and just get on with it.
Thanks for those photo's.

Your welcome,as my first 2 bikes were a Tiger cub and a Norton Jubillee I'm still mentally scared,and anything that needs a Whitworth spanner I'm long gone  :D

Don't go mad tightening the bolt in the engine,I wasn't very happy when the bars came and I saw the design,because I assumed the first off,and that bolt woud rip out of the casting,having thrown mine down the road at a first old lick thats not the case

audiododd

Yeah...what Mustang said.  I got the SW-Motech Bags-Connection style.  It has a ring that mounts onto your gas (petrol) filler and you wire the mount to the battery.  The bag has a quick connect so you can pop it right off and take it with you.  I'll plug the GPS into one of the sockets and leave my phone charging in the bag on the other socket.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln