News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Handling

Started by Sin_Tiger, May 11, 2012, 03:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el-cid

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 21, 2013, 06:34:08 PM
CID, I don't know how experienced you are so will throw this in as a just-in-case;  when doing the forks, make sure to flush out the fork bottoms properly (I use old fuel), especially if it's not been done before.  Yours isn't high miles but you'd be amazed at the crud that gathers in the bottoms.  Tipping them out is NOT enough.

Thanks for the tip, actually my bike has 38k miles on it. It has good records for the last owners period (10k miles or so) but no sign of fork service. Any thought as to bias vs. radial tires?  Good price savings on the bias 705s.

Mustang

The bias ply shinkos work awesome for the money.
They are a little nervous feeling when brandy spanking new. But come into it nicely after a couple hundred miles.
The front will last more than 10k miles the the rear will see 8 k easy enough

el-cid

Quote from: Mustang on July 21, 2013, 11:33:53 PM
The bias ply shinkos work awesome for the money.

Good to hear!  I got looking my bike over a little more and it looks like it has some leaky fork seals, the bottom of both boots are pretty dirty and damp and it looks like a little oil seeped on the lowers.  Could be that part of my problem is that the fork is a little low on oil as well as dirty.  I'll probably have the oil changed, the stanchions scooted up in the clamps by 10mm and spoon new tires on it all at the same time.  Now I need to decide if I'll stick with stock weight oil or heavier...

I really appreciate all the help/advice everyone!

Sin_Tiger

I guess you will have cleaned them out by now so that didn't need repeating. I couldn't believe how Black fork oil could get  :bug_eye

I was still playing with the setup when I had to shop her back to the UK. Getting the balance for rear preload and compression setting I believe is the key, thereafter getting tyre pressures for the rubber you are using and your personal situation will get it settled.

Not gripping bars helps a lot since some rubber like the anankee only need very small inputs but that's my personal problem and is in my head.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

el-cid

Just a little follow up from me.  I got the bike into the shop yesterday, got the fork seals swapped out and the oil changed (back to the stock weight and didn't fiddle with the stanchions in the crowns) and got the new Shinkos on.  The fresh tires are a little nervous like Mustang said but I trust they'll get better.  Strangely enough, the rear end felt harsher but I'll work on the compression damping adjuster a bit.  It was lots better at highway speed, but I also figured out that with wind buffeting and the wide (high-leverage) bars, it doesn't take much input to wander the bike around.  I'm working on keeping my upper body calm and that should help a lot too.  Thanks again for all the help & suggestions!