News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

R/L Front fairings - Wanting to modify

Started by Rapier, May 17, 2012, 01:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier

I am thinking about modifying the front fairings on my Steamer.
1) Any advice on what not to do if cutting into the plastic?
2) Is there any way to heat shape the plastic parts, for small bends?
3) Does anyone have any really messed up fairings they would like to get rid of?
4) Does anyone know of a source for replacement front fairings? Besides Bike Bandit.

Thanks folks!
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

BruKen

Quote from: "Rapier"2) Is there any way to heat shape the plastic parts, for small bends?

Yes, but it's mindbogglingly difficult to do a good job and get away with it. Do you know what a hot air paintripper gun is? Well there is one that paper crafters use for embossing which isnt quite as lethal.

Bending plastic is a real art though. There is a small temperature range window that will allow you to bend the plastic without it stress fracturing or turning into a puddle and the seam you want to bend has to be uniformly heated across it's length otherwise the seam will not be straight but be a buckled mess that is both concave and convex along the seam even when using a jig. Which brings me to the next point. Always use a jig. I shape mine from dense blue foam.

Note, if the blue foam melts you are too hot and the fumes are particularly nasty

Having said this, I have never tried shaping a seam longer than 15cm because of a poor success rate. You can get away with about 10cm easily enough if you are careful, so how you'd apply that to an entire panel I dont know without being ambitious.

Rapier

Excellent, my wife has one of those.

That is one reason I am hoping that someone has a scragged set. Experimentation on something that is not the good one is the idea!
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

BruKen

So did mine. After I nicked hers she horse traded with my balls. Buy your own is my advice.

Robbie

I think there may be a transplant in the offing???

spill the beans
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Robbie"I think there may be a transplant in the offing???

spill the beans

No chance of any donors here,I made sure I unchecked that tick box on my card  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Rapier

A cosmetic change to the lower portion of the front farings. I am considering exposing the engine; since it has such nice lines to it. However the uppermost part of the faring needs to stay.
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA