News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Screen buffeting

Started by chinchliffe, May 18, 2012, 09:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Putts255

Definitely worth a try.  Thanks for sharing!!!

Looks like you used some rubber washers or other type of washers can you elaborate?

Thanks,

Paul
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

chinchliffe

The washers are off cuts from interior car body panels (they are an exact colour match for my Tiger). They are made from High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS).

Chris

Stitch

+1 on the mod of the MRA Vario mounting. Thanks to Chris for the contribution and I agree...it doesnt move at 80mph.   My nearest hardware store did not have the stainless button heads for the long length needed so I improvised a little by using standard hex bolts. I also used some 3/16" grommets to space the screen off my aluminum brackets. Any place that touches plastic does have a rubber washer under the stainless one. I did have a gap due to the length of the aluminum I used so I filled the gap a bit with a pair of Signal Dynamics  amber/black marker/turn signals PN2011. These 6" inch strips are really nice, fit perfectly for my needs, and are in metal backings. I did not have to do any more fabrication other than bolting them on with the hardware that came with it. Purchased them on ebay almost 50% off. Wired in they are very nice and one can never have enough lighting.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

deepsouthtiger

Wow. very nice, extra lights are always good!  :hello2
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Spud

Just done this screen mod and I must say I'm very immpressed with the results. A bit more wind pressure on the shoulders but I could ride without ear plugs, so the noise must have dropped considerably.
cheers for the info Spud  :wink:

Spud

I have a spare set of brackets if anyone wants them cheers Spud  :wink:

Trophykev

Spud

There's a couple of people interested in these brackets, they are stainless steel. I do not require any money for them a SAE would suffice cheers Spud  :wink:

mwrmoore

has anyone tried lifting and raising a standard triumph touring screen like this - before i spalsh out on a new screen for mine, i wondered if it was worth trying a similar mod for the standard fare?

Trophykev

Havent tried it but did wonder i i could lift just the top on a spacer to change the angle slightly.  Have a touring screen on mine very good but not perfect

mwrmoore

So spaced out my existing touring screen with some longer bolts and some 12mm nylon spacers - any larger and the bolts won't fit through the holes-the angles get very steep and it put pressure on the fairing/ screen lip but... Noticeable difference already, buffeting to head is reduced but wind roar is up, silly more fluttering around shoulders.

I'm gonna knock up some brackets to put larger spacers in and lift the screen further towards me in the next week or so and see if that improves further. but signs are good, whether as good as a replacement aftermarket screen I'm not sure...

Spud

I have a MRA screen with this mod, 275 miles on sunday and it performed great. I can ride up to 70 without earplugs.
Got into some serious showers on sunday and theres not a lot of water coming up the inside of the screen.
It's a bloody good mod as far as i am concerned.

Are there many people interested in the brackets ?

cheers Spud  :wink:

yamaha6

Spud
Fitted the brackets you sent me on Sunday and went for a test run.Buffeting is definitely reduced,just need to see what it is like in the rain.

Cheers Alan

Spud

Quote from: "yamaha6"Spud
Fitted the brackets you sent me on Sunday and went for a test run.Buffeting is definitely reduced,just need to see what it is like in the rain.

Cheers Alan

great stuff I didn't find much water coming up the inside at all.

cheers Spud  :wink:

mwrmoore

Spud, if you can lay your hands on more brackets I'd be interested. Ideally by the end of the month as planning trip. Cheers matt