News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Screen buffeting

Started by chinchliffe, May 18, 2012, 09:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinchliffe

Just like other Girly owners, I had problems with head buffeting and wind noise with my standard screen. After reading various reviews on the web I decided on an MRA Vario screen, which was a big improvement. I have recently returned from a trip to Germany on the Tiger and decided to see if I could make the Vario even better. I read various articles on equalising wind pressure and setting the screen away from the cowling. I made some brackets and spacers, refitted the Vario screen and went for a blast and up to 80mph............................no buffeting and greatly reduced wind noise!
I know this won't work for everyone but with this setup I could happily ride all day.
I am 6ft, large build and have the seat on the middle setting.

Chris

BigDan

There are settings for the seat? how? where? awesome.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Robbie

Quote from: "BigDan"There are settings for the seat? how? where? awesome.

take it off and flipit over
push the brackets inward
pick the holes you want and re assemble on the pins
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

BigDan

Cheers mate!

Also, great idea with raising the screen off, I think thats partly how the palmer products screen works so well, letting air in underneath thins it out :)

bjago

I was just wondering if you might have some very simple dimensions for this little project...... I am at work and can quickly fab up some of these to try out for the weekend.
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

chinchliffe

Brackets are 50mm x 25mm x 3mm aluminium flat bar. 25mm between hole centres.
Plastic/Fibre spacers step it away from the cowling 25mm.
M5 x 45mm Stainless Button head M/C screws
M5 x 30mm Stainless Button head M/C screws
M5 Stainless nylocs.
I get no flex on the cowling or screen even at 80mph.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Chad

Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

robxxxx

Chris, have you had a pillion on with this mod, and any comments from them? Been mucking about with my MRA, but discovered that things got worse with a passenger.

chinchliffe

No, sorry I haven't. I rarely carry a pillion.

pineygroveshop

Quote from: "chinchliffe"Brackets are 50mm x 25mm x 3mm aluminium flat bar. 25mm between hole centres.
Plastic/Fibre spacers step it away from the cowling 20mm.
M5 x 45mm Stainless Button head M/C screws
M5 x 30mm Stainless Button head M/C screws
M5 Stainless nylocs.
I get no flex on the cowling or screen even at 80mph.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Did you have to modify any existing parts or enlarge any holes in the screen or cockpit?  Can the work be reversed without problem?
Cheers,
Stephen

chinchliffe

I used all the existing holes as they were, and picked up on the original holes in the cowling/cockpit even using the standard rubber/brass M5 fixings. I could take off the MRA and replace it with the standard screen also using these mounts. Everything can be put back to standard just by removing the brackets and spacers.

pineygroveshop

Have you tried it in the rain yet?
Cheers,
Stephen

chinchliffe

No, I haven't tried it in the rain. Did a trip to the North Wales Coast today, just over 100 miles mainly on A roads, 70-80 mph and same again, no buffeting and reduced wind noise. Like I said before, this setup won't work for everyone.

Chris

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "BigDan"There are settings for the seat? how? where? awesome.

If it's lower you're after, you could try this too:

http://www.adrianmolloy.com/Lower_Seat.html
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigDan

Cheers Bob, but I was actually thinking of higher.

And I too think Adrian Molloy's website is pretty good!