News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Todays MCN

Started by Chris Canning, June 06, 2012, 05:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

For the folk who think big traillies are for offroading there's a lengthy article in todays MCN,covering the GS/Explorer/Tenere/KTM.

John Stenhouse

Can I guess what it says? These bikes are too heavy to really take off road.

Perhaps we ought to point the writers of such drivel in the direction of some of the ride reports on here which show that with a ounce of common sense they really quite capable.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

deepsouthtiger

I have noted that many of the writers at these magazines are ex road racers etc. They are also often the size and weight of your average horse jockey.
I reckon if you are barely 5' tall  and 128 lbs you most likely will have a horrible time on a Tiger/Tenere/GS on road or off.
 What???? Yep I went there.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

BigDan

Ahaha yeah xD Good point!
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Chris Canning

When I did the post I hadn't read the article due to lack of interest,but have since,they were offroaders who were on the bikes,and there was 5 pages!!,and the bikes WERE ridden offroad,it's a funny article.

LTB

Would be fun to read!

Anyone know of an online copy of the article?
I have problems getting MCN here in Sweden.
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"

metalguru

Quote from: "LTB"Would be fun to read!

Anyone know of an online copy of the article?
I have problems getting MCN here in Sweden.

PM sent.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Just got round to reading it and it was pretty much as you'd expect.  But when your ideal offroad bike is a 450c single, these behemoths are not really going to meet expectations. And (and I quote) when it's not so much about the bike as the places it takes you, they're not really coming from the same place as most ADV'ers where most of the fun (and sense of achievement) is just doing it on inappropriate equipment.

In the end you either buy one of these because:

a.  They are better all round bikes than their appearance suggests

b. You fantasise about riding round the world but won't ever get round to it, but hell, what's wrong with that?

If you're serious about riding around the world, you'll buy something you can pick up on your own when you drop it.  Anybody read Loise Pryce's two adventure books? She did her rides on a 350cc Yamaha trail bike because she's 5ft nowt and can't ride anything bigger, but it got the job done.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

TBH with all the confines and restrictions in UK a 250 seems quite adequet. Speak to any long distance trials riders and they will agree.The main reason I bought a Tiger (on my 3rd now) was for the ride comfort and a complete all rounder, and of course it's a Triumph.

As it has been proved many times over that a huge bike on knobblies is a handful and not really required, although fun.

Had a mate who rode from New Zealand to the UK to watch the TT many years ago on an XT500 and then rode back!
Makes me wonder how Charlie and Ewan would have faired on CG125s. Not as daft as first thought when considering they are all over the world and do 100mpg(uk), so 1 jerry can for petrol and one for water.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

deepsouthtiger

And (and I quote) when it's not so much about the bike as the places it takes you, they're not really coming from the same place as most ADV'ers where most of the fun (and sense of achievement) is just doing it on inappropriate equipment.
---exactly Bixxer Bob---

Also when you have to buy,ride,maintain,repair a bike yourself (and for some of us just ONE bike) You go with a bike that can do "everything" well enough, reliably, affordably, and with as much FUN factor as you can afford.
 However, If you are a motojournalist with an unlimited stable of FREE new bikes in every flavor and sub section known to man to use in the very limited specific manner each are made for, in controlled and perfect conditions you just, most likely, don't "get it"....and never will.
 I have played heavy metal music on a Fender Jazz Bass----music journalists would have my head I am sure!!!!  I have fixed things with duct tape and pliers---not the appropriate spanner or OEM fastener--auto journalists would pull out their hair!!!

I would have to say the majority of my life has been centered around doing STUFF on or with inappropriate equipment.....but damn its fun :-)

I would also say I bought my Tiger for its versatility, its like a 2 wheeled Land Rover, or Swiss Army knife.  It just plain works.

metalguru

For anyone who hasn't read it, here is part 1 video, kinda solidifies what we have been thinking.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... -part-one/
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"In the end you either buy one of these because:

a.  They are better all round bikes than their appearance suggests

b. You fantasise about riding round the world but won't ever get round to it, but hell, what's wrong with that?

Should've added, "You do not buy one of these bikes if you are serious about riding round the world unless you think "I know, I'll make it as difficult as I can. I'll  buy a 275 kg monster with shaft drive, canbus electrics and the spares availability of rocking horse poo"....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

treewright

That looks fun when you've bagged some expensive heavy iron and you aren't worried about the repair bill. Personally I'd rather attempt that hill on my. Xt 600 but I would Prefer a 350 less tiring and easier to pick up bet they're having a laugh though! Those hills look very south Wiltshire and familiar back in the day on my dt175.
1983 landrover 110 3.5 turbo diesel,yamaha xt600 tenere 1987,triumph tiger 885 carb 94,95?

deepsouthtiger

Ted SImon should have NEVER done his global travels on a 500 cc Triumph Tiger......never......no......
Robbie Marshall went round the world on a Triumph Trophy...GASP a STREET BIKE...and the couple Nita and Issa Breibish are doing it for charity on BMW 1200 GS and 650 GS...  These people must be stopped !!! Its MADNESS no one can have an ADVENTURE on an ADVENTURE BIKE!!!
And then there's THIS guy!
http://www.poorcirculation2.blogspot.com/

Does anyone have the Pro Dakar Riders email maybe he should see how an amature rides?

LTB

A couple friends of a friend drives two Suzuki GSX-R 1100 with knobbies on, on the same kind of roads and a bit worse here in Sweden.
I havn't seen it myself but they are supposedly screaming through the woods :-)
They drive theese in the winter with studded tires also...

You can have a lot of fun with the wrong tool for the right job :-)
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"