News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new owner in shropshire

Started by petermiles01, June 07, 2012, 07:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petermiles01

hi,

I got a lightning yellow 2000 X reg 885i.

Loving it!!!!

Does anyone have a TOR can that they dont want anymore?

I want to put this on and do the TOR tune.

Loops

Hi Pete,

Welcome aboard.

I too have a 885 in Lightening Yellow which I 've had from new in '99 she's now pushing about 80k miles.  Aiming for the 100k didn't get much riding in last year as I ripped the ligaments out of my right shoulder and it's taken ages to be comfortable enough to be able to ride safely (quickly!!).

You will find loads of great info on this forum mostly about the 955 (they made more of them) but relates to the 885 too.

I'd recommend reading the 'sticky' posts as most of the 'problems or queries' are already covered there.

Cheers

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

Trophykev

Just had the TOR retune done on my 2003 955i
With 42000 miles she had a lot of surging etc between 2500-3000 revs. Plus lots of backfire on the over run.
Surging is now almost gone still not perfect with popping at an acceptable level.
Would recommend even without the TOR can.
May try the other tune see if that's even better but will run a tank of fuel first so I get used to it and check mpg

Bixxer Bob

Do the 12 min tune (see stickies) to reset the trims then ride it. You won't get instant results. Check Chris Canning - he left well alone for weeks and it gradually came to him.  The mistake newbies make is expecting a generic map to be perfect for their bike straight away. It won't be. You have to give the bike time to trim itself.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Trophykev

Ok thanks.    I take it I can't mess anything up doing this ?

Bixxer Bob

Not as long as you take your time and read evertything thoroughly first.It It's essential that you battery is in good condition and fully charged though. You need good voltage to blow in maps.  If in doubt, use jump leads and a known good battery . And save your existing map before you do anything else so you can always go back.  Likewise take screenshots or write down all your other setting before you change anything.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Trophykev

Sorry didn't make it clear
My dealer did a 42000mile service balanced the throttle bodies and put aTOR map on it for me.
Do I leave alone and ride it for 150 miles to settle or do I do a 12 min reset as you suggest.
Can the 12 min reset work to my detriment

Bixxer Bob

If the dealer did the remap he should have reset the trims at the same time, but doing the 12 min won't do any harm as all it will do is reset them again.  If it's running ok, the golden rule for Girlies is DFWI (Don't f**k with it).   Chis's experience is fairly typical, it was vibey to start with - symptomatic of it running a bit lean - but smoothed out as time went on.

Trimming itself is not so much about miles as the amount of running in the part of the map that initiates the trim process ie low throttle settings and light engine load.  I can't be precise at the moment because my old laptop died with all my data on it and I haven't gotten round to recovering the hard drive.  Metalguru has also done a lot of map work so hopefully he will be along to fill the gaps :wink: