News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Super-secret special coolant bleeding method?

Started by Me_Rock, June 23, 2012, 07:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me_Rock

Howdy!

I got my new radiator and cap in the mail the other day, but now I can't seem to get all of the air out of the system.

I filled it up from the radiator cap with the engine running until it started spitting coolant out, then I shut it off and filled it the rest of the way, while tipping the bike from side to side and squeezing hoses to get all the air out that I could. I then put my shiny new pressure cap on.

When I gave the engine another whirl, coolant started bubbling in to the expansion reservoir again. However, the level of coolant in the reservoir didn't seem to change much. Is it supposed to bubble?

Am I doing this right, or is there any wisdom that could be applied to the process?

Thanks!

Mustang

quit obsessing about the coolant reservoir................you got coolant in the rad to the top , fill the under seat tank to half full  and ride the friggin thing , it will sort itself out

PompeyLad

Quote from: "Mustang"quit obsessing about the coolant reservoir................you got coolant in the rad to the top , fill the under seat tank to half full  and ride the friggin thing , it will sort itself out

:iagree

Me_Rock

I've still got disappearing coolant. How does bleeding air from the screw on the side of the cylinder work? The last time I tried, coolant just came pouring out.

I really hope my head gasket is alright...

Thanks!

EDIT: It appears that I have milky oil with a tint of green. Crap.

JetdocX

That's a head gasket or cylinder sleeve leak.  Sorry.  You're about to get a lot more familiar with your engine.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

yep , my bet is head gasket , I am pretty sure you were asked these very Q's in your other thread

Me_Rock

Quote from: "Mustang"yep , my bet is head gasket , I am pretty sure you were asked these very Q's in your other thread

You're right, but the oil appeared fine when I checked it then. Perhaps it was because I checked it after not running the machine for several hours. I don't mean to spam the forum, I've just got a lot of questions!

I was offered the complete original engine to the bike when I took on this project, and I regrettably turned it down. It was worth a phone call to see if the offer still stood, but I didn't get an answer. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Anyway, I've never done a head gasket job. Are they particularly difficult?

Thanks!

Mustang

the potential for fuckups is always present in any job , on a scale of 1to5 I give it a four for difficulty

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,38160

read jd's thread he is competent and still did it twice .............

Me_Rock

I'm guessing that this would probably write off the bike to get it done in a shop. Do you happen to have a part number for the head gasket kit I'll need?

Thanks!

Mustang

you'll have to look it up on bike bandit , you aint got a tiger motor no more.

you need to look up parts for whatever bike it was you have the engine for.

at the BARE minimum you need a head gasket and a tube of hylomar to seal the cylinder liners at the base . AND A REPAIR MANUAL
IT'S A BIG JOB .