News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ho ho ho, an absolute bargain thanks mister !

Started by russ_fae_fyvie, January 18, 2005, 10:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_fae_fyvie

Hi guys,

Aint been on here very often but thought I'd pass on a tip if you want to try and get a nice cheap bike, cos thats how I got my 2003 Tiger !

I had a test ride on a nice new one at our local Triumph Emporium in Aberdeen when I was looking to replace my old tattered Transalp. Well after a great test ride with the missus on the back we were hooked ! It's obviously not the same animal as my Blackbird but I wanted an easy bike to ride in the winter and also when I felt like a change, so like I said we wer both hooked, only one problem, the cost !

OK, so I trawled the Internet for something but as usual, becasue they are obviously good bikes the 2nd hand costs were out of our league a bit. The I hit a bit of luck, came across a place down south flogging off what was described as 'damaged repairable' with what looked like a mint 2003 Black Tiger (this was in June 2003).

So after a few phone calls it seemed it had been written off but when inspected all that was knackered was plastics and indicators on the LH side. Seems the reason it had been written off was becasue the plastic petrol tank had taken a swipe (nowt wrong other than severe paint loss) the LH pillion peg bracket was a bit bent and general cosmetics, all in all it was a bargain with 300 miles on the closk for £4200 ! this was when the list price was over £7k !!

So needless to say I bought it, then found out ut hadn't actually been written off after all so another bit of luck.

I had never really thought of getting a damaged bike before, obviously depends on the amount of damage, but with todays stupid spares costs when Insurance Companies price remedial work, there must be a few other bargains out there.

So next time I'm on the lookout for a nice bike that I can't afford new, I'll be back to the Internet for a lookie !!

Thats todays lesson over !!

By the way, I luv it !!!

Mr Mistoffelees

Sweet ride  8), looks like you got a bargin there.
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Robbie

stick a Baglux tank cover on and you will never know
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

russ_fae_fyvie

Actually a bit of black gloss paint, silver paint, a thin brush and an (un)steady hand and you can't tell the difference, not exactly professional but I ain bothered !!

Dick Boyer

Do yourself a big favor and spring for the center stand.

russ_fae_fyvie

I'd be interested in feedback from anyone who has had one put on because I've seem some reports saying it's not a very good fit ?????

I'm just talking about the after market one (Triumph), not the Centre Stands fitted to new bikes ?

Dick Boyer

I had mine installed by the dealer before I picked up the new machine. Haven't had any problems. Sure nice for working on the bike or changing tires and oil changes.

hellfire

Quote from: "russ_fae_fyvie"I'd be interested in feedback from anyone who has had one put on because I've seem some reports saying it's not a very good fit ?????

I'm just talking about the after market one (Triumph), not the Centre Stands fitted to new bikes ?

Hi russ,

there's a genuine triumph centre stand for sale on ebay!  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

Regards...Andy :wink:
if it\'s not broken then fix it until it is!

Brock

Get the Triumph one if you can. With it on, the ol' Tiger is one of the easiest bikes to lift, so long as you show it who's boss.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

waltconrad

put some fake bullet holes next to the scrath on tyhe tank to complete  the look.
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.