News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Whats under the tank

Started by Chris Canning, June 25, 2012, 09:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

I see there's an ever increasing number of folk who I wouldn't class as DIYers,here's a few photos of whats under the tank,I'm sure there are others on here but as I'm in the process of preping the bike thought I'd do it anyway.

Air box minus the filter that slots in the letter box

It's only held on with 2 screws and wiring and the vent pipe.

When you lift the airbox off this is what you see.

This space is under the battery box.

Trophykev

excellent photos - thank you.
what are the 2 white  connectors bottom right of last photo.

Chris Canning

They both connect to the tank,the small one on right side the larger on left close to were the two male fuel pipes in the photo connect too.

Bixxer Bob

Damn sight cleaner than mine Chris :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Spud

seeing as your showing us your box, er air box that is. Is the air box mod worth doing does it make that much difference to the little Girly cheers Spud  :wink:

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Damn sight cleaner than mine Chris :D

Oddly enough I just lifted the tank and airfilter and took the photo and didn't look at it when I put it on Photobucket,when I posted it here,thought jesus it bloody filthy  :oops:  :oops: ,but it isn't now,and I nice new K+N turned up today  :D

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Spud"seeing as your showing us your box, er air box that is. Is the air box mod worth doing does it make that much difference to the little Girly cheers Spud  :wink:

I did mine that long ago can hardly remember what it was like stock,but as i recall it was a major difference,hopefully others who have done it of recent will put their two peneeth in.

metalguru

Airbox mod works fine, make sure there are two snorkels as later 955s only have one.....easily cured though.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "metalguru"Airbox mod works fine, make sure there are two snorkels as later 955s only have one.....easily cured though.

Thats interesting as I've had 2 airbox's my original 2001 and another off ebay age unknown and neither had 2 snorkels,I thought it was the 885 that had 2  :?

I never had the tank of either of my 885i's,I never trusted e'm at the best of times never mid taking them apart.

PeteH

Yep 2 snorkles on my 885i, no airbox mod as the blanking plate was metal not plastic, but have since learned you can get around it. K&N fitted in the spring....and yes it has awakened the beast :twisted:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

metalguru

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "metalguru"Airbox mod works fine, make sure there are two snorkels as later 955s only have one.....easily cured though.

Thats interesting as I've had 2 airbox's my original 2001 and another off ebay age unknown and neither had 2 snorkels,I thought it was the 885 that had 2  :?

I never had the tank of either of my 885i's,I never trusted e'm at the best of times never mid taking them apart.

Post corrected and should read,
Airbox mod works fine, make sure there are two snorkels as per 885s as later 955s only have one.....easily cured though
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

TigerTrax

added note:
I cut a piece of womens panty hose and stretched over  snorkle....
help keep the riff raff out......

just don't get caught stealing the neighbors panty hose !
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Chris Canning

Quote from: "metalguru"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"

Post corrected and should read,
Airbox mod works fine, make sure there are two snorkels as per 885s as later 955s only have one.....easily cured though

Have you modded your 955 airbox or fitted an 885 one,it's funny in the fact must have had my airbox off a dozen times at least,but only this time looked at the snorkel etc and thought 'What a crap idea' the way it's hidden behind the bracing plate on the frame  :roll:

metalguru

Airbox on mine is modded by cutting a hole in the opposite side to the snorkel where the 855 would have one and a purchased snorkel inserted. The baffle plate has been removed.
It would not be good practice to just cut the hole and leave it as the airbox temp sensor is adjacent. The rush of air past the sensor would let the sensor give a false reading to the ECU.
The idea is good all the time the airbox is recieving cool air but as soon as the temp goes up, ie stationary, one would hope the sensor would not go out of range, but there again it is a French built ECU from a car.......eeerrrrmmm.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

Quote from: "metalguru"Airbox on mine is modded by cutting a hole in the opposite side to the snorkel where the 855 would have one and a purchased snorkel inserted. The baffle plate has been removed.
It would not be good practice to just cut the hole and leave it as the airbox temp sensor is adjacent. The rush of air past the sensor would let the sensor give a false reading to the ECU.
The idea is good all the time the airbox is recieving cool air but as soon as the temp goes up, ie stationary, one would hope the sensor would not go out of range, but there again it is a French built ECU from a car.......eeerrrrmmm.

Hmmm,I'll think about that and give it a go,but it'll have to wait,no time for R+D  :D